Are screw-around maps and pony maps frowned upon?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Bloodroke

L1: Registered
Jul 30, 2013
Many years ago, after my first year of playing TF2 (2009, so I guess not too long ago) I grew tired of the same stale gameplay and art style that TF2 possessed. I looked for something a little different while still being able to play in TF2. I then found a server with an interesting map; Mario_Kart. All I really enjoy playing now are screw-around maps.

Looking at them now, I realize how sloppily made they are, and wish to make new memorable maps for players.

I am currently in the process of making a pony themed screw around map (I have a feeling I will be flamed for mentioning that, lol) and wish to possibly post W.I.P. status updates via pictures here to receive critique from those more experienced in mapping than I. However, would those actions be frowned upon here?

TL;DR : I am making a pony-themed screw around map, would I be frowned upon for posting W.I.P. picture and video status updates on this forum to receive critique from mappers better than I?

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
The problem is, most screw-around maps are like you said, poorly made. We here at TF2Maps strive for high level of design and art skill, and when people pass their screw-around maps off as "the next best thing" it's annoying.

That said, we love screw around maps, like Lolcano, (My own)Windmilltrainsaw, Trainsawlaser, etc. However you'll notice that while these maps are screw-around, they're well made and intended for people to have chaotic fun on. Perhaps most importantly though, they still have a way to win. Mario Kart, or other constant death matches just get boring after a while. Screw around is one thing, but after a while you get bored of that.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Exactly the point. Without working objectives any map becomes stale quite fast. There is a difference between a silly map and a silly map with gameplay. Silly simply doesn't mean lacking rules.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
About a year ago, somebody posted a Pony map called Canterlot War Games on our downloads section. There was never a thread on it, and I only found it because I happened to be looking for a model and the name caught my eye. I downloaded it, and while the layout is probably what you'd expect for a map that's had no proper testing, the detailing is quite impressive and more importantly it is a real, functional Gravel Pit style map.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Aly and I entered a MLP 'serious' mapping contest a year or so ago (should note, it was her idea, not mine). We came in third, but there was 4 entries of maps that had some testing, assumably by people who just play tf2, not study it, and they were decent. The major point though, was that everyone thought the maps were fun, and that was the goal of the contest, to create fun, serious, tf2 style with a dash of mlp set of maps.

If you want to make a screw around pony map with bi-hourly singalongs go ahead. No one here will stop you, but you'll get some criticism for it being a 'screw around map'. There is always a community for what you want to do. Maye TF2 maps isnt the one that you want, but there will be one somewhere.

Ice Crystal

L2: Junior Member
Feb 28, 2013
I find that, apart from silliness and quality of execution, pony maps suffer from having a theme hardly compatible with tf2. The best pony maps are the ones that borrow just enough architecturally to be recognizable, while avoiding actual recreation. It's one thing so pleasantly pan across a flat, pastel scene, and a bit more of an eye rape situation to be completely immersed in it, especially coming from other maps.

Canterlot Wargames was the best attempt at recreation I've seen, but it had more detail than most and was a lot darker, being at night.

mint onion

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2013
the brony movement in tf2 annoys me personally. not to say i wouldn't help where i could, the fact the map's theme doesn't excite me may discourage me, but there are plenty of those that do like their my little ponies and also know how to make good maps for those with similar tastes. i'd say, a country band shouldn't play heavy metal and expect to impress that crowd. i'm all for letting people express themselves creatively. who's to say what anyone should and shouldn't do.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
I think there will be people here that will not like the MLP theming of your map, i think many of us won't care as long as you're trying to make the best map you can and make interesting places to fight on. If anyone does try to flame (and I use that word cautiously) as a result of the map's theme then just report it.

To be honest 99% of the maps playtested here are in alpha for a fair time anyway with dev textures so I don't see how any playtesters could really care about what a map looks like when playing it.

I think the bigger issue you're going to have is the majority of the community giving a crap about the map if there is now real objective the map is based around and if the feedback you're looking for is purely detail related there may not be many people here who know or are interested in in MLP enough to comment on how well you are achieving it's look.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Summary;

Make it fun and we don't give a shit.

350x232px-LL-d4837514_Point_over_your_head.jpeg

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
As far as theming goes, I've seen plenty of MLP fan art where the backgrounds, at least, are done in an impressionistic, painterly style not unlike the Leyendecker and Rockwell paintings that TF2 was modeled after, and they look pretty awesome. Heck, even some of the backgrounds on the show are kicked up a notch and look more like paintings than paper cutouts. So in theory, you could create a visual theme for your map that was clearly Equestria but also meshes with the game's standard look and feel. Plus, they would look objectively better than textures that are just solid blocks of color in general.