are monitors a thing?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by neutrallyBiassed, Sep 15, 2015.

1. neutrallyBiassed

neutrallyBiassed L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I am trying to create a special spawn room with teleporters to different parts of my map and would like to know if cameras are part of tf2's modpack and if they are easily added if they are not.

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  3. Woozlez

Woozlez L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Many of the entities that may be available to HL2 mods like Garry's Mod are not necessarily available within Team Fortress 2. For example, the trigger_catapult entity was only just ported over to allow Jump pads to work. I may be wrong, but it's safe to assume that the functionality of live video cameras that Garry's mod has is not available in the TF2 SDK.

On the other hand, if you'd like to put different default spectator view points in each of the areas of the map, you're welcome to do that! Players will of course have to go into spectator mode, but it's definitely an option. You could also create a custom script in sourcemod to force players into spectator mode and to view a specific spectator camera after a button is melee'd, and then users just click again to deactivate.

I also might be completely wrong on all of this because I don't really do entity work, so someone PLEASE correct me!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Source defaults to one rendertexture. All monitors use a render texture. Oh, and the cameras are flat out broken in tf2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. neutrallyBiassed

neutrallyBiassed L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  6. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
  7. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    I remember player a custom tf2 map with a mirror that reflects players, maybe that'l work?

8. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    It's func_mirror, and as the name suggests, it's a mirror, not a monitor screen or a portal to another part of the map. TF2 just doesn't support anything like that, unfortunately. The best tools we have available are windows.

9. 404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    That'd work, but how would a spectator click a button? Impossible! You'd need to bring up a menu when the player is in Spectator mode (use a boolean set to true when the button is triggered so you're only displaying the menu to those with the boolean set to true) and then just have an option on the menu labelled "Exit Camera". Then comes the bit where you'd need to force the player back onto the team they were on and respawn the player (possible) and teleport the player back to where they were standing (also possible).

Obviously this opens up issues such as servers that use autobalance. Forcing the team could get around that but there's always the possibility of auto-balancing taking place because of the force.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think someone jimmy rigged one, I cant be sure, but I swear; someone jimmy rigged it to work. I think by having a crazy ridiculous mirror set up. though the tool camera does work... in some cases

quick edit: it does work if you can toggle some base codes... I forget how, but in general play, it still is broken

11. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I don't really know what that post means, but the answer hasn't changed in the last 34 days.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. MoonFox

MoonFox L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    holy shit! I did not notice the OP date, I feel stupid right now. like for everything I am worth... stupid. well, its true, I think I found it working with an odd setup, but at the time I didn't understand it, and frankly; I cant remember the map's name or creator as it was a custom alpha, and that was all. (PS, it was for VSH)

13. 404UserNotFound

404UserNotFound No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    Feelin' the same as Coltnweston right now as I too didn't notice the date, but thanks for the smart-aleck comment :p