Arctic Blast

Remix

L69: Deviant Member
Feb 27, 2008
sig-2.png

Arctic Blast is a map designed by a competitive player for competitive players. My main goals in making this map are:

1. To remain original
  2. To try and keep each control point in an open area: to avoid stalemating and allow soldiers/demoman maximum mobility
  3. To allow a type of vertical battle at every control point
  4. To keep respawn times short so the battle is always going on

Zombie Map! Its back from the dead. Totally new layout and design, but under the same name for some odd reason.

Special thanks to:

ACE³ Pugs - Pugging
No Questions Asked - Constant Pugging/Feedback/File Hosting
Freelance Fox - Good mapping partner for feedback and the likes

=========
Known Bugs
=========
  • Some minor clipping problems (doors, some models, displacements, ledges)

=========
To-Do List
=========
  • Work on skybox
  • Add balcony area inbetween 2/3
  • More props for cover at 4/5 cps
  • New snow/ice/rock textures (maybe)
  • Finish detailing
  • Playtest, Playtest, Playtest

Last edited:

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
From the play test I did... yesterday, I'd have to agree with the absurdist statement above. :3

1: Not that there aren't some area that are quite a bit too large, but the large open area between mid and 2nd just isn't broken up enough to make it playable. If you go anywhere out in the open, you're scout/sniper food.

2: All of the verticality you've created so far is very nice, but it all seems to be clustered along the edges of these large areas, so that really is devolves into a match of soldiers sitting up high guarding the two or so chokes to each area.

3: Last was the most interesting part of the map. I liked the concept but I feel like the huge expanse of open air is just too much. Both spawn doors could be locked down with soldier or sniper fire from the roof the offense has access to, and there's no cover whatsoever on the point, making it a game of duck & cover for the defensive team, trying to get up into the buildings the offense controls.

4: The bend around 2nd seems too sharp, as in that big area with two paths that goes outside of the 2nd point is basically... useless? It certainly doesn't funnel players that direction. A lot of action seemed to take place in that hallway with the low ceilings to the right (defensive perspective) of the last CP.

<3

Hopefully I can get you some ideas on how to fix all this later... peace and try to get this tested moar! >:3

Remix

Feb 27, 2008
Changes in upcoming alpha:

*More cover and changed overall shape of middle point
*New pathway from 2nd point to middle
*Reduced size of the "open" pathway from middle to second
*Raised the tunnel off the ground at second (encourages players to go through the house to get to last)
*Added more cover around the point at the first point
*New cover around second point to prevent players from standing on the roof and spamming the point
*SNOW!!!!

Expect this to be released tonight.

And to absurdistof, I really think this is quite the opposite, it really isn't that small of a map, it is just the S-curved layout using jedi mind tricks. For now, I am going to keep the size the same, and see if I can get rid of the sniping problems with some smaller sniping gaps.

I really like how the mid battle takes place, everyone on both teams gets to mid at the same time, allowing for an all-out brawl. Thanks for the feedback.

pl

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 6, 2009
Map's looking pretty nice so far! I was just about to comment on the linearity of the central area until I saw you're changing that for the next alpha :)
But yeah, I think if you could find some interesting spots for some sidepaths, that would really make a difference to the game flow.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Wow, this looks awesome, maybe it's too small, But the layout looks awesome.

Remix

Feb 27, 2008
Thanks for the really positive feedback so far. Like I mentioned in the map details, if anybody is interested in helping to playtest this map along with others, send me a PM and I will get you into a small pugging group I am trying to create.

Also, don't expect an update tonight. Probably Thursday at the earliest. I am going to be pretty busy with league play tonight and tomorrow, so Thursday will be the next day I have a good four hours to get this done.

Last edited:

Remix

Feb 27, 2008
=========
09/05/2009 - Alpha 6d
=========
Gameplay
- Added new path from 2nd to 3rd
- Added in building between 2nd and 3rd
- Added a building overtop the middle point
- Reduced the size of middle
- Raised the height of the tunnel exit to 2nd so that only a scout can access it from the yard of the 2nd point
- Added a boathouse and rock at 1st to reduce effectiveness of a sniper from the tunnel
- Added miscellaneous cover at the first point
- Added two new windows to the building at 2nd
- Added a sign that directs players spawning at the 3rd forward spawn area

Bug Fixes
- Got rid of shadows given off by doors and the resupply lockers
- Fixed several "rough" displacements
- Cubemaps working properly

frank_oz

L1: Registered
Sep 6, 2009
I really like the intended style. Winter cabins with a really dramatic mix of open and closed spaces, very fun. I'll have more useful technical input once I get some sleep.

Remix

Feb 27, 2008
Its been a long time since I have updated this thread. A lot of changes have been made, so I compacted them into the main changes from A6D to A9E.

=========
10/03/2009 - Alpha 9E
=========
Gameplay
- Changed the building at 3rd point
- Decreased the size of 1/5 points
- Changed layout of building inbetween 2/3
- Added nobuild in trees
Aesthetics
- Finished texturing CP#1 on red side
- Finished texturing red spawn
- Finished texturing blue and red buildings that connect 2/3
Bugs
- Fixed some clipping issues at 1/5 near the snow ramps in the lower area
- Fixed clipping on logs at mid

Remix

Feb 27, 2008
Zombie Map! Its back from the dead. Totally new layout and design, but under the same name for some odd reason.
And is there anyway to delete that last screenshot? I only have 5 for this version of the map.

=========
1/31/2009 - Alpha 10F
=========
- Totally new release of the map
- Recycled old 1/5 points and created new design

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Looks nice. When can we see the map in play?