Architecture in Video Games: Designing for Impact

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Resources' started by StickZer0, Oct 13, 2015.

1. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You stole that from my retweet :mad:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Davekillerish

aa Davekillerish Lvl O: Orange Member

Positive Ratings:
    Did you claim copyright? SUE HIM

4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I read through 96% of the article. Itook notes for the general sense, but here's notes that can apply to TF2:

+ when designing the level, think of the environment. What is the geology? Geography? Topology? Climate? Age?
    + integrate the landscape into your architecture
    + include time when designing your environment. I feel that this is something that many of don't think of when detailing, or making new geometry for levels
    + how does the levels landscape evolve through time? What did the landscape look like when the buildings/complex was new? What's the landscape going to do to it now, X years later?
    + what do buildings look like through time? How would they be repaired. How would the materials of the new repair compare to the old materials?
    + in the case of tf2, what are buildings in similar environments built like? If the area could be prone to flooding, your buildings should reflect this.
    + consider how materials interact. What do they look like new? What do they look like aged? What do they look like together? You don't want to have that stains on a building that doesn't have a source of rust.
    + be consistent! Again, think about time and age.

I guess the biggest thing to take away from this is: include time as an aesthetic part of your environment. Time will effect every aspect of your level and environment, don't forget it!

On mobile, so formatting is poop.

5. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    Really good article! This touches on a lot of stuff I've been learning in school. I'll see about writing up a proper article on how this stuff can apply to TF2.

• Thanks Thanks x 2