Arc Mountain

Radenska

L2: Junior Member
Jan 31, 2008
My first arena map. Both sides compete over control of an escape route from the leaning water tower, via locomotion & shipping platform.

I used an alpine style, and played with the lighting a bit so it has more of a late dawn feel, and to capture more of the deep purples found in the skybox.

I plan to re-enable the entities that control dynamic props upon capturing the CP, but that had its issues and will return polished as I finalize any revisions that playtesting reveals on the layout.

Planning to submit this to near future playtest weekends.

Last edited:

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
I did a runthrough of your map and found out some minor issues. Overall I like it myself, I really like the water tower tilting and dripping water part.:thumbup:

Anyway...

Over here there's this huge block of elevated playerclip, not good since this roof is rather easily accessible (rocket/sticky jump). So I'm floating in the air over here. Applies to both sides.

arena_arc_mountain_a10000.jpg

I can also jump off the map from here:
arena_arc_mountain_a10002.jpg

...and here...(I'm outside already, basically behind both fences near the spawn)

arena_arc_mountain_a10004.jpg

And at this house opposite the spawn there is an opening where I can access this area by rocket/sticky jump. I think you might be better off covering the opening by extending the roof.

arena_arc_mountain_a10003.jpg

I didn't take a picture but you can sticky jump out of spawn during countdown. It's not going to make much of a difference if you ask me, but it's just something that I noticed.

Radenska

Jan 31, 2008
Penpen,

Thanks so much for doing that. I knew I was able to do that in an older build as well, but as new ones came with more geometry I was forgetting to revise that clip brush in particular. I'll definitely go in and get those areas better sealed-off.

Thanks!

It use to be CTF actually, which is why you might be wondering if that extra interior you found was at a time useful.

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
No problems. Why didn't you keep it as a ctf map? Seems okay to me (maybe add more ammo and health around the map and stuff).

I just remembered about the spectator cameras as well, they were pretty far away. I think arena map spec cameras need to be closer to the action, perhaps you can see how effective they are after submitting for gameday.

Radenska

Jan 31, 2008
Well, this was initially a semester final project for a class on Narrative in our medium, and changing from CTF to Arena gave me the idea for a central CP, which then led to the water tower and train landmarks. These were much more elegant tools for narrative (long story short), and plus I was more interested to try and make an arena at the time since the entities and mode was brand new when I started.

It solved a lot of grading criteria and design flaws I was facing at the time, basically, and it proved to get better feedback from in-studio play tests.

Thanks for asking though - I may get some mileage out of this map in the future if the layout is successful online, and make other versions.

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
Minor Bugs

i made a runtrough to.

arena_arc_mountain_a10005.jpg

I can stand in that tree:p

arena_arc_mountain_a10000.jpg

May i come up here?:confused:

arena_arc_mountain_a10004.jpg

if you drop yourself from the tower next to the watertower you can fall behind the map:p

Radenska

Jan 31, 2008
steff0o,

Thanks to you as well for "surveying the land", haha.

I'm going to take a look at the map tonight and really spend some time closing off those areas before next Sunday's testing day.

The thing is, I'm really really awful with the sticky/rocket jumping, so I rarely bothered stress-testing these areas for accessibility. Fortunately, there are many people here who can use such talents to everyone's benefit ::p:

Radenska

Jan 31, 2008
I updated most of the screenshots. I haven't uploaded the new .bsp yet (fixing the clip brush issues you guys pointed out above), but these better represent what I've tweaked visually.