Anyone know how Valve puts characters in their maps?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by JMRboosties, Jul 13, 2010.

1. JMRboosties

JMRboosties L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    On pl_thundermountain, there are blue guys in blue's spawn looking at a map, and on the last point there is a red sniper out in the distance. Have we figured out how this is done?

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    It has been possible since the very beginning. It's just a prop_dynamic set to the player model. (and I still think Dario was silly for doing it :| )

3. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    I think it's tacky.

4. Bad Vlad

Bad Vlad L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is that the 'twist'? I thought it was the sunshine, given the weather conditions. He should've made it red for added effect.

5. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    The 'twist' was waiting for the bridge to come up before being able to push the payload again.

6. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    It's bad practice. Don't do it.

7. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    And the 3rd stage with the little mini stages that open when you cap a point.

8. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    It's an awful idea. Player models are complex and are usually what we try to hide with optimization. Adding more of them is just stupid.

9. Dr Forrester

Dr Forrester L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not to mention that if they are in gameplay areas, you can easily confuse them for actual players. Not fun to find out that the guy you've been shooting at is just a map effect.

10. JMRboosties

JMRboosties L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    well if i were to include one he wouldnt be like on the point or anything. having them in the spawn area or something like the ones on thunder mountain is pretty acceptable i think, optimization aside

11. Firest0rm

Firest0rm L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    i don't think the models are bad. They're not in playable areas, and once you get far enough away the windows turn black, obscuring them. And also a lot of people think that they're awesome

12. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    It's just Valve saying 'hey guise look we can use bots to do random taunts!'

They're pretty useless but amusing.

13. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I too think they are tacky, and just... useless looking. Atfirst I thought it was a fight club, which would have been cool :p

14. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    I guess I'm in the minority that I rather liked them and thought they were funny. When all 5 of the characters looking at the map do the Thriller taunt I thoroughly lulz'd.