Any way to KOTH-style timer tick down more quickly?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by nitewalker, Mar 23, 2016.

1. nitewalker

nitewalker L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey folks,

I was wondering if there was any way to make a KOTH-style timer tick down more quickly, perhaps ticking down several seconds in each second instead of having a normal countdown. Thanks in advance.

2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    You can do it by adding a negative time to the corresponding team koth clock (zz_red_koth_timer, etc) every second with a logic_timer.

But it spams the "Time has been added" sound over and over unless you suppress it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    tf_logic_koth has "Timer Length" keyvalue (in seconds), so you can make it not 3 mins in your own map/map you're editing.

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Whatever it is that you're trying to accomplish, I really would advise against doing it this way. It's not really a timer if the number of seconds left on it is literally several times how much time is actually left, is it?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    doesn't the domination mode has timers ticking down in different speeds depending on how many points your team currently has captured?

6. nitewalker

nitewalker L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    i totally agree this is a fairly inelegant way of solving my problem, however it is also the easiest way to solve it. for my dumb custom gamemode (and really just a test gamemode at that) there really is no point in spending a lot of time developing a cleaner way of doing it, perhaps with custom hud elements and percentage meters or something like that.

also thanks freyja for a quick and detailed response, that helped a lot