[SOLVED] Any way to keep angled geometry in large grid sizes on grid?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

pk.pseudo

Certified Eldritch Horror
Jul 17, 2019
Angled and more complex geometry is always something I've wanted to play with, due to how fun spaces can become with less boxy brushwork, layouts, and overall geometry. But recently, I've also wanted to clean up my brushwork and to force myself to stay in a 32 or higher grid size. I've encountered when rotating geometry and using other primitives other than rectangles it's almost impossible to keep vertexes on the larger grid.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it a fool's task to use other primitives at such a large grid size, and if so, how can I optimize brushwork and geometry for layouts at such a small grid size to avoid leaks, overlapping brushes, and general untidiness?

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
using simple 1:1 or 1:2 gradients is a good way to do that (45* and 26.57* rotation respectively, if rotating structures). I also never just rotate geometry then leave it as that, I'll go into vertex edit and move the vertices on-grid (you can also use instances for large rotated structures to make life easier)

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
My recommendation is to always work at 45 degrees, because then lining up the finer details is much easier. With a 1:2, 2:3, or other diagonal angle, doing things like brushwork trim and other small things can get really frustrating, time consuming, and messy. Since 45 degrees is just 1:1, it's very simple. It just means you use the vertex edit tool about as much, or more, as you do the basic select tool.

For reference, here is a pic of koth_brazil:

hammer_2019-10-02_10-52-50.jpg

This is my unfinished map cp_theory:

hammer_2019-10-02_10-53-23.png

This is the map I am working on now, pl_fountain:

hammer_2019-10-02_10-54-34.png

Although 2:3 looks nice, and I guess you can remember that it's some specific rotation, I find using 1:1 angles easier for fine detail. You can see some of that here.

hammer_2019-10-02_10-57-26.png

If you look close you will see some points where the angles diverge from 45 degrees, but it's usually in service of simplifying the cuts I need to make to brushes to make them be 45 degrees for the player.

pk.pseudo

Certified Eldritch Horror
Jul 17, 2019
are the terms "1:1, 1:2, 2:3" just the slope?