Any interest in some TFC events?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Valve is having a Half-Life: Alyx promotional thing, in which a bunch of games are free-to-play until it comes out. For some weird reason, this includes Team Fortress Classic. So I thought, hey, wouldn't it be neat if we could spend some time playing that and getting an idea of what Team Fortress was like in the olden days. We could spin up our own temporary server and have a few scheduled casual play events.

And since we're a mapping community, it might be nice to include some of the more famous custom maps that were made for it over the years (none of which I'm familiar with), as well as maybe having a sister event on one of the main servers playing remakes of TFC maps that never got ported (Casbah and Avanti come immediately to mind) to see how they compare and maybe figure out why they don't work in TF2.

What do you say?

Lacry

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 25, 2019
I actually tried to make a remake of a TFC, but didnt end up well, but still would be interesting remakeing some of them, i have all the maps of TFC, even the missing ones so for me would be nice!

Contact me if you want to get bsp and vmf if you want!

Last edited:

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
That sounds fun! Plus, there's a couple of TFC maps I wanted to get a look at, and what better way to do that than playing it on a server full of people?

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Meaning officially.

Alternating Current

L1: Registered
Oct 29, 2019
Well, from what I'm seeing, and this could just be me not searching the correct term, but the only remake of Avanti I saw in a semi-complete state was Davanti... and there are no finished Casbah remakes.

I would like to see Avanti get the Dustbowl treatment, though. It deserves a remaster.

Pocket

aa
Nov 14, 2009
Avanti has been remade by fans like three times. Avante, Avantiville, and that one I forget the name of that changed it into a farm theme and made it completely unrecognizable. And this is the Casbah remake I'm talking about. One of the servers I used to play on had it in their rotation for a while.

Narpas

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
I'd love to play some TFC, I've run around the maps but never had a chance to actually play them so it'd be fun!

Aapelikaeki

L3: Member
Feb 24, 2018
Hopping in to say that I would definitely participate if this happens

CrashGordon94

L1: Registered
Jan 18, 2020
Sorry to double-post but something to add:

Doesn't look like this is going anywhere so I feel like I might need to bite the bullet and be the one to handle this but I don't really know what I'm doing.

If anyone could message me with anything they might have on:
1) How to play TFC
2) Hosting a server
3) Where/How I should announce when we play
That would be awesome!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Since we only have about 10 days left to do this, I say we figure out if we're gonna do this or not real quick.

As I said before, I really want to see this happened!