Any instantly noticeable problems with my map so far?

gunk

L1: Registered
Jun 7, 2020
help.jpg

(I forgot to label you can go under the point too)​

Hello!

I'm new to mapping in TF2, and I was wondering if there was any easily noticeable problems with my map layout wise. I thought I'd post it here to make sure I'm not being a total idiot.

Thanks!

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Can you post another image showing the height of the areas in question?

Also you should really ask the discord.

GigaBite

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2022
Hi,
I agree that more images would be useful, such as seeing what the map looks like if I were standing inside it, like a sideways view. With more pictures the feedback could be richer. However, I can still see a few issues.

Firstly, it looks like your spawn room has only 1 exit. This is not good. It means that your players can potentially be spawncamped by 1 enemy player (like the demoman) with no options for alternative ways out of the spawn room. I would suggest adding at least 1 more exit, and add it decently far away from the other door, and/or at a different angle from the first door.

Secondly, the room that comes after the spawn room has 2 doorways and one hallway with its own exit, where all 3 of these openings lead to the same area. I think this should be changed because if the enemy team gets control of this one area, all 3 of your team's options to get to the battlefield are blocked off and will face heavy resistance. You need to give players options and alternative routes. Here, all your options essentially lead to the same thing, which is not only frustrating but unbalanced.
There is a longer route that your team can take through the hallway I mentioned above which goes past this space and exits where the control point is. So, you do have 1 alternative opening for players to enter into, so that's a positive. However, this opening is greeted by a massive sightline as the control point sits on a long rectangle. Enemy snipers will love this. This is not necessarily bad, but you need to be careful about creating too many long sightlines.

Thirdly, the map's textures need to be changed. Everything is in the orange dev texture. Nothing against this texture, but you shouldn't have everything be the same texture. Players may be confused about where different walls are and where they are in the map. There is no visual clarity to separate spaces into distinct areas. To fix this, get more creative. Use a different texture for the ground and consider using team coloured textures.

Fourthly, it seems like all your doorway openings are quite narrow and claustrophobic. Consider widening the exits.

Fifthly, there is this large, open space near the opening underneath the point with nothing going on. It looks like it needs more cover.

I hope I have explained my thoughts clearly and constructively. Good luck with your mapping!