Any Ideas On A Layout Extension Here?

Dr. KillPatient

L3: Member
May 10, 2009
Well, I'm working on my first release, possibly, a KOTH map centered in a two (or perhaps more) silo-like area. This is the layout around the CP, any ideas for how the rest could be laid out would be nice, as well as any other recommendations.
I've also attached the VMF in case you want to look around or compile and walk about the place.
For reference purposes the distance from the lower area to the top bridge area with the CP is just a few units (about 60-80) lower than the distance a vertical non-crouching rocketjump can take you, so soldiers and demos can get up there with ease.

Note that it's currently in fullbright with only the layout set. I cannot figure out the light_env to save my life-- or light my map universally for now.

Screenshots:

koth_silo_v10000.jpg

Top layout, with a slight angle to show depth.

koth_silo_v10001.jpg

Closer view of the CP.

koth_silo_v10002.jpg

View from the lower level to one of the stairways.

koth_silo_v10003.jpg

Top of the stairs looking across the CP.

Last edited:

zornor

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 14, 2009
To use light_env you need the following:
- One light_env, placed anywhere
- A few skybox textured blocks (preferably in out-of-reach map boundary locations)

You might also want to look for Acegikmo's Environment gallery so you can copy the environment settings from Valve maps.

As for the layout looks like you need some alternate routes so it doesn't become a sniper alley from the spawn to the capture point :)

Dr. KillPatient

May 10, 2009
I was thinking of putting some outer rings around it between the stairs and the entrance to the silo connecting all four tunnels. I will add some cover in the tunnels eventually so it's not a sniperfest.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Light environment will not work on an completely indoor map. You need some brushes textured with toolsskybox.

Dr. KillPatient

May 10, 2009
The light environment is working now, but that's not actually what I was looking for. I really want some advice on how to extend the layout of the map without making gameplay too bland.
Thanks anyway though =)

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
You have the right ideas about use of elevation, but ur doin it rong D:

Elevated areas should be easily reachable by soldiers, demomen, and sometimes, scouts. To be honest I have yet to open up your map since your screenshots seem comprehensive enough, but scouts don't seem to have much of an environmental advantage due to the lack of open areas, ways to travel between storeys that other classes can't take.

There's also not really many places for an engineer to setup. Add some alcoves etc on the side of the main room, maybe. This is also important for spies to be able to cloak and use cover (remember to add in ammo for both of these classes!)

Snipers can sit at spawn and shoot people, and vice versa. Maybe a corner, or a layout like this:

SPAWN
__|..|__
|..___..|
|..|__|..|
|__..__|
....|..|....
EVERYWHERE ELSE

could help to alleviate that problem.

Dr. KillPatient

May 10, 2009
Actually those upward-sloping passageways will probably lead to an outside area. Those won't lead to the spawns. But good point, how might I give scouts a tactical advantage without letting the other non-demo/solly classes jump up, as well as not break the theme? I was thinking it might be spytech or something, like cp_blackmesa if you've ever played it.
I added corridors connecting the four stair tunnels as well on the top area, screenshots coming tomorrow once I get on my computer.

zornor

Jan 14, 2009
I guess they could jump on computers or toxic waste barrels or something.