(Another) Badlands Remake

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
To be honest, I'm not too happy with this at the moment. I know the lighting's awful, but this is the first compile, so I've yet to tweak it. Also my rubbish computer doesn't exactly make it look good either- props fading out if you step back so much as 1cm. I havn't really started to decorate it much either- just a few props thrown in for ideas.
The other problem is I think it turned out a little too cramped.

Still, what do you think? Is it even worth me continuing?

Last edited:

marnamai

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2007
Yup, definatly worth continuing.

I don't know if the props fading is related to your "crappy" computer. But if you are trying to set fading distances you can use the fade preview button in hammer ;)

(the button looks like 3 fading blue squares, usually in the top toolbar on the right)

B

Buster Charlie

I think it shows a lot of promise, and it looks like it might run faster on lower end machines than my version. I say keep going IF YOU ENJOY IT! Because ultimately I wouldn't be doing my version if I wasn't enjoying it. And again, if one version is better at CTF than the other, badlands is big enough it could be a CP map or some other gameplay variant.

P

Pookiemccoo

A small request from a future player: please give both Badlands map a distinctive name. I wouldn't want to keep downloading a different map over and over just because they share the same name.
This is true for any TF(C) remake, especially if Valve themselves start making new versions of old maps too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Half-Life_Maniac

Nov 30, 2007
UPDATE!

Well, I actualy havn't given up on the map yet. Getting more and more done. However, the lighting is still giving me problems. I've bumped it up a good deal, and it looks better in most places, but still rubbish in others.
Note that I've yet to add detail props and all the nice little extras.

Also don't be scared by the fps drop in some screens- there was a brief drop at the moment of pressing the screenshot button. The game is also running on the highest settings- a real strain for my poor old computer. Saying that, I'm very pleased (and surprised) I got high fps throughout.

Not too bad.

Ugly lighting on the stairs

Maybe a tad too bright in the wooden hallway

Don't know what to do with this part...

Continued...

Last edited:

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
it may have to do with your light placement/color. try moving the light around or making it a brighter color (if it isn't white)

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
place your light a bit lower should do it, and move your blocks so they hit eachother, but with a good fat part so no light escapes between them. If you get what i mean :p

Half-Life_Maniac

Nov 30, 2007
Erm, not really.

Anyway, I've already adjusted the lights ever so slighty, and already there's an improvement. Just toning down the brightness a little, lowering the inner/outer angles a bit.. Just got to find that magic combination.

I'll wait until there's something new to look at before doing any more screens.