Animating my props. (No I dont mean prop_dynamic)

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
I know this is probably the last place to ask this, considering that this is a MAPPING community, but I've really hit a dead end and I just hope someone has the answers i'm looking for.

So I've worked on a few models here and there, mostly static, just to get the hang of it. I want to make the jump to dynamic prop making so in other words make my models animate. I feel with animation I can do a whole lot more and bring some really cool stuff to the community.

Anyways, Ive been using Maya and XSI and I've become stumped. Animating in Source is completely different since bones become involved, and separate SMD files with bone data. I've looked high and low for a tutorial on animating my prop but I've found nothing that puts me on the right path. I had a few attempts of making a simple object spin 360 degrees on it's y-axis through Maya/XSI but the model just doesn't appear in the viewer when I compile it. Clearly I am doing something isn't right and I know it's simply because I don't have enough information/ knowledge on the subject.

Has anyone done this before? Do anyone know how to animate props with either Maya or XSI? Or is it something no knows.

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
Hmm, not sure. Can you open an animated TF2 prop in XSI and look at it to see what's what? Just a thought.

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
Not totally sure, but I believe you have to export the reference model and animations file separately, the animations one being just the bones. There are tutorials around regarding that, I'll see if I can find one.

EDIT: I guess VDC may be best for this, reading through this and the related articles should point you in the right direction.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Model_Creation_Overview

Last edited:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I use an old vers of 3ds max so I don't know if it'll help.

I use the cannon fodder exporter.

I wasn't able to see the anims. I was exporting my model, my animations (with model), and a collision model.

Once I deleted the model and exported ONLY the bones in the anim file the anims worked fine.
Newer 3ds exporters are supposed to be able to export all in one.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
thanks for the responses guys, im surprised i got any XD

Well I looked at the link Altaco it was slightly helpful, the only REAL big problem is that anything refering to a tutorial has more to do with character rigging more than anything else ><

I realize now about keeping the bones in a seperate smd but in XSI it just wont let me export without a model selected so I cant remove my model. You would think there would be a tutorial somewhere for this kind of stuff :|