Animating a NPC

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Midday_Fury, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Midday_Fury

Midday_Fury L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello everyone, I am making a deathrun map, and I have hit another bump in the road.

For a trap, I wish to make it so that a heavy shoots at a few props, and ultimately "breaks" them, allowing him to unintentionally kill whoever is within the trap area. And after this, and engineer pops in to "rebuild" the props he destroyed.

Questions:
    How do I make the Heavy appear to shoot his minigun?
    How do I make the Engineer appear to rebuild the props? (Much like building a sentry)
    To make the props "break" and then reappear, should I just set an output in the trap button to enable/disable?

2. Bogdy

Bogdy L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think you have to make a prop_dynamic. I could be wrong, though.

3. Midday_Fury

Positive Ratings:
    I have made a prop_dynamic with the heavy model, but what is tripping me up is the animation part. The default animation box is a type-in box, not a drop-down menu, so i have no idea what to even type in there.

4. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    The model viewer has an "animations" tab with a list of all valid animations for a prop. Simply enter the name of the one you want to use into the box.

5. Midday_Fury

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, I found that "model" tab right after posting this, but the animation I need is broken, it just makes the heavy lie down on the ground and sort of shake. I had to rethink the trap because of this. Quite disappointing really.

6. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    a lot of animations are in parts, ie the arm movements as one and the pose as another, i think you need to combine them

7. Midday_Fury

Positive Ratings:
    How do I do that, it only allows me to set one animation.

8. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure but I think you can combine animations with the input SetDefaultAnimaion and SetAnimation.
    Try to experiment in-game with the ent_fire command. Try those two input and try different animations and see if you could get it to work like you want.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    For something this complex, you're probably going to have to decompile the character models and make a custom animation that encompasses the entire sequence. And then somehow export that as a separate version of the model with a custom filename, which will then be packed into the map.