Animated Props

Frozen Goat

L1: Registered
Feb 18, 2009
Hey guys,

Been testing my map and I'm having problems with high pings. I'm pretty sure it's because I have animated props such as scouts and heavies doing a few different actions. Is there a way that I can use them and make them only happen on the client side so it does not pull down the server? The server I put my map on I usually get 40 ping or so. I'm up around 200 with my map. I have about 10 scouts and Heavies that are animated.

I'd love to be able to keep them but obviously I can't the way it's currently set up.

Thanks in advance.

Firest0rm

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 27, 2009
i doubt that it is because of animated props, unless you have a massive amount of hugely animated props. i dont think a few animated heavies and scouts would affect lag-related stuff, because there are usually quite a few players with heavy and scout models running around. anyway, stuff like that *shouldnt* affect ping, it should only affect fps. the problem would probably be a lack of optimization. could you maybe post a few screenshots of your map, so that i can see if you have anything else that might cause stuff like that?

Frozen Goat

Feb 18, 2009
Firest0rm,

Thanks for the great link. I learned a lot from that. I went through my map and changed my sky boxes, added a bunch of no draws and even a few occluders.

I went back in and tested my map. While my FPS improved my ping did not change.

Any other map on this server I'm running 35-40ms on.

I went back to my map and removed my animated prop_dynamics and boom my ping is right where it should be. I did not change anything else except for removing them

I have 12 animated props in the map not counting my teleporters. I have 16 running teleporters in my map.

The map runs perfectly with the teleports but once I add in all the animated props I have issues.

The animated props are in 2 separate areas and in two bunches. I've tried placing occluders in the walls that surround the props but it had no effect.

I know I'm a noob but from what I've done it seems to prove out the animated prop_dynamics are the cause of my high ping.

Please let me know if I'm missing something. Is there a step I need to do to the map to make the props not pull down the server like that? Am I using the wrong type of prop?

I really don't want to pull them from my map and from what others have suggested it sounds like there is a way to make this work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dravu

Dec 1, 2009
I had this same problem in a map I'm working on. Each prop_dynamic that uses an animated model adds around 10kb/sec in information that the server has to send to clients. When I ran it locally, my ping was fine of course, but it said I was recieving around 345kb/sec. When you put that on a real server, it caps you at a certain amount of data, so your ping will shoot up and you'll lag. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any solutions to the problem. If you limit it to around one animated prop, it'll do fine, but anymore and it starts becoming too much.

Frozen Goat

Feb 18, 2009
I had this same problem in a map I'm working on. Each prop_dynamic that uses an animated model adds around 10kb/sec in information that the server has to send to clients. When I ran it locally, my ping was fine of course, but it said I was recieving around 345kb/sec. When you put that on a real server, it caps you at a certain amount of data, so your ping will shoot up and you'll lag. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any solutions to the problem. If you limit it to around one animated prop, it'll do fine, but anymore and it starts becoming too much.

Ugh....not the reply I wanted but thanks for the information. The props really add a lot to my map. If I can't find a solution I guess I'll have to take the animations off.:(

Dravu

Dec 1, 2009
Ugh....not the reply I wanted but thanks for the information. The props really add a lot to my map. If I can't find a solution I guess I'll have to take the animations off.:(
Yeah. It was a drag when I realized it. Locally, I didn't have any problems, so I kept developing on it and using those props. It wasn't until I threw it on a server to show someone else that I noticed the issues and looked into it. Maybe someone else will come along and offer a solution. :(

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
I know this topic is quite old, but I couldnt find a more recent topic, and didnt see the point of opening a new one
I found a solution, so I want to post it in case anyone else runs into this, and finds this topic through search

I also ran into this issue (the "in" part in netgraph showed 80kb/s), and only found this out after testing it on a real server (everyone's ping went twice as much as normally)
After looking into what could cause it, I found this topic, which confirmed what I was afraid of, the animating props are evil

Then I remembered I saw these animating props in pl_thundermountain, so had a look at how valve did it there, and the solution is quite easy:
DisableBoneFollowers

Some property that hammer doesnt know (and the valve dev wiki doesnt have it either)

I went to all my animating dynamic props, turned smartedit off, added a property with name DisableBoneFollowers and value 1

The 'in' part of netgraph went from 80kb/s to 5kb/s

Last edited:

Mzullos5

Nov 19, 2009
I went to all my animating dynamic props, turned smartedit off, added a property with name DisableBoneFollowers and value 1

The 'in' part of netgraph went from 80kb/s to 5kb/s

Thank you so much. This really helped me out.