An update on the post-SteamPipe SDK

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
From Fletcher Dunn on the HLDS mailing list

This is not really gameserver admin related, but several people on this list were asking, so I am posting here.

We’ve released some very early betas of the SDK tools that have been broken by the SteamPipe filesystem changes. They are now going to go in the same folder as the game. The separate Source SDK app is not used for these tools. Please see this bug in github:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/8

That bug has the instructions for how to install the tools, and comments about what may or may not work. (There are probably also some problems getting hammer to figure out where the .FGD files are.) That bug will also serve as the location where you can give feedback.

Thanks for your patience.

s0da72

L2: Junior Member
Jan 11, 2013
Here's how to get the build for, e.g. TF2:
1. In the Steam client, opt into the “sdktools_beta” branch. (Right client on the game, properties, select the “betas” tab.)
2. Set the VPROJECT environment variable to your game dir. (e.g. c:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf)

Similar instructions apply for the other games.

There's no front end launcher for the tools, but you can just launch bin\hammer.exe.

Bummer, I don't see the sdktools_beta as a branch option when I click the beta tab.

Is this only available for certain people?

s0da72

Jan 11, 2013
I can start hammer now...

But the .FGD files (as they mentioned) do not load...

vXsSZxH.jpg

s0da72

Jan 11, 2013
The .FGD's files load once you go into tool=>options and add your .FGD files

QRzHj6v.jpg

Models appear to show up now in hammer..

RYpB7sW.jpg

Haven't tried building though...

compfast

L1: Registered
Apr 25, 2013
can someone tell me how to do this?

2. Set the VPROJECT environment variable to your game dir. (e.g. c:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf)

And I dont have the sdk beta choice, i only see steam beta, do I pick that one first, then the sdk beta shows up???

Thanks

Last edited:

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
The build tools (vbsp, vvis, vrad) are working fine (for me) as well.

Last edited:

compfast

Apr 25, 2013
Ok, I figured out the enviroment variable, but still don't have the option to opt into the sdktools beta.

Vaconcovat

L3: Member
Jan 15, 2012
Ah, sdktools_beta isn't a steam beta, its a game beta. You need to find tf2 in your library, rightclick > properties > betas > sdktools_beta. After that, tf2 should update. (You may need to attempt to launch it first)

s0da72

Jan 11, 2013
follow what vaconcovat mentions above and you should see the following.

GkbtPLt.png

The beta option should look like

rMd4qmj.png

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
In order for me to get ABS's keyword fixes etc. working, I had to copy the models and materials into the new tf2 location, where I put them inside a custom folder: steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/abs-resource-pack/
They are located in steamapps\username\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\tf.

EDIT: Of course all prefabs will need to be moved to their new location as well.

Last edited:

Antonhel

Apr 29, 2011
I really wouldn't recommend this to map normally as we used to since it's a little bit buggy.

Arne

L3: Member
Nov 22, 2012
The build tools (vbsp, vvis, vrad) are working fine as well.

Vrad and Vbsp doesn't work for me, when doing two same compiles of a same vmf. The steampipe version gave me more "zero child patch" (resulting in fully black map) than the normal version.

So, I would considering to use Batch Compiler now.

Last edited:

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
Is this the same Hammer as before with just some quick patches getting it to work again, basically?
Yes, it is. And it also introduces some new bugs, like the checker pattern on models in the 2d views.

s0da72

Jan 11, 2013
I don't know if this is a bug or a configuration issue..

but the brushes don't show up when you try to paint alpha on displacements.

This will cause hammer to crash...

iIT8jsB.jpg

compfast

Apr 25, 2013
Thanks,.............. i found it and installed the beta, and my editor still crashes when i click "new"