An interesting displacement discovery

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
So I'm going along, creating a mudslide for my pond thing. Moving around, I get to the very back corner, where 2 displacements meet on either side of a small square of land. Because of the unique shape, I am unable to make the entire border of the pond a single displacement; but rather have to do it in segments, and merge the pieces as best I can. I make this last square of land a displacement and start to shape it. Because it's a corner piece joining both sides and the ground, I'm overlapping everything, and it just looks ugly.

I delete the square and try again. On a whim, after turning it into a displacement, I sew it with the others. Loe and behold, as soon as one of the lines on my corner piece reaches the same height as a border piece, they sew together and become a single thing. I always believed that in order to sew displacement, the edges being sewn had to match before you starting shaping them. Soon as I discovered this I giggled a little and did a happy dance :D So I am the last person to know about this technique, or is it relatively new? Either way, I felt this was awsome enough to warrant sharing with you guys.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
what? explain this again, preferably with pictures, I've no idea what you are trying to say

Cpt Raem

L1: Registered
Feb 20, 2008
I think Immortal is saying you can sew even after displacing, when they no longer meet up?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
ahhhh if thats what he means then yes, you are the last to know immortal :lol:

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Yep, your displacements don't have to match up as soon as they're made (though it's helpful), just so long as the edges match up close enough when you hit the 'sew' button.

Koei

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 23, 2008
You can use the "raise to" thingy quickly make some stuff match.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
displacements are my downfall.
im thinking for that map im making now, instead of fussing with displacements, im just making a custom texture that says 'Imagine valve quality displacements here.' over and over again.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
lol that would be pretty damn funny for the first time you played it, then it would start to hurt most peoples imaginations