[Guide] An in-depth guide on how to create mvm missions

Dayal

L3: Member
Feb 8, 2017
So a couple of months ago, before I decided to take a break from TF2 and the Discord server. I asked in the Discord server if I should make a guide going over all of the knowledge I gained over the years of playing and creating custom mvm missions. Now, there were a few answers saying that I should, but it didn't really convince me. But then, during the end of July, where I still had a month left before I had to start my internship. I had to fill in the boredom. So I decided to make it anyway.

Fastforward a month and a couple of days. With my 100th post celebration (purely coincidental) I present to you, a long guide! A very long guide... But a guide nonetheless!
It contains all of the topics I could think of:
  • How to design a mission.
  • Guidelines on how to use official bot templates and tanks.
  • How to use support bots.
  • Design philosophy behind custom bots.
  • Map tips and tricks.
  • Some advanced tips and tricks.
  • The testing process of a mission.
Not everything might be adressed and if you find something that I missed, feel free to point it out. I'm planning on continually editing this guide with bits and pieces that will cross my mind.

The main reason what convinced me to make this guide is because of some less favourable missions. And also the recent increased interest in mission creating for Titanium Tank and Canteen Crasher. Creating missions isn't all that difficult when you get the hang of it, but it's the process of eventually creating a good mission that's important. I made a ton of missions that I'm not proud of, some of which I may even call downright bad. But I improved. And I believe everyone has the capability to improve, it's just a matter of when and where.

Now this guide isn't something you should follow 100%, these are mostly guidelines. I encourage everyone to find a style that suits them the most. These are just topics of which I find that every mission creator should atleast put some thought into it.

The guide contains circa 158154 characters, so I have no clue if it fits into a tf2maps post. If there is a way to post this handful of a guide onto the website itself, tell me. For now I'll just post the Steam guide here.

Dayal's mega awesome guide on creating mvm missions and all that shizzle!

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Gosh, this is a definitive guide, excellent job!

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
Fixed a couple of typos and added a confirmation that crit Sandman balls still do slow people for 2 extra seconds.

Dayal

Feb 8, 2017
Fixed some more typos and misinformation. Next time I'll update the guide, I'll add guidelines on how to design a boss bot, how wave pacing works and the difference in designing an advanced mission and an expert mission.