An entity in my map is leaking... but it doesn't exist...?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Hi, all!
It's me again, with another nooby question!

So, I shambled together my very first map over the past two weeks, and I've pretty much finished the first Alpha stage. However, upon a compile, the Compile Process Window tells me there's an entity that's leaking.
Thanks to Crash's Compiler & Errors tutorial on YouTube, I was able to go to the entity's location and load its pointfile.

But... there's no entity there.
According to the Compile Process Window, the entity that leaked was a trigger_multiple. Its apparent location is actually outside the map.
The problem is, no entity shows up and the pointfile is literally just a line lying about in the void, which is no help. Here's a pic:
5e2QohY.png

So... uh, yeah... I really don't know what to do about it, or if it actually is causing the map to leak or not.

I really want to upload the map here when it's in a playable state, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ^.^

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
If the trigger_multiple's origin (the blue ball) is outside the map, it will leak. Move it inside.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Unfortunately, I can't see it at all, and nothing happens if I click on either vertex of the line.
It also doesn't appear in 2D view. :c

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Select the trigger_multiple first (or better yet, the entire map if you have several) and look at the pointfile line again. Turn Show Helpers :helpers: on too if you still don't see anything. You can then either drag the origin back into the map, or click Tools > Center Origins.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Just go to where the trigger_multiple is and select it there? Do you mean you can't do that for some reason?

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Okay, thanks everyone! I was able to see the entities by selecting the whole map.

Thank you to everyone for your help! :3

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
The log tells entity's coordinates after ***leaked*** actually. (No help here, as it takes you to the origin; thanks Killo for pointing that out)
However, glad to see you solved the problem. In future, try not to mess with entities' origins unless they are actually needed (rotating/moving objects).

Last edited:

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
There's a difference between the entity itself and its origin here. You can still select the trigger brush, wherever it may be in your map, and its origin will appear too as a small circle (even if it's hundreds of Hammer units away out in the void). The only problem is, you can't easily tell which trigger_multiple an origin belongs to, so that's why I recommended selecting the whole map.

The log tells entity's coordinates after ***leaked*** actually.
Those coordinates take you to the origin, I'm pretty sure. Not the actual brush.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Oh, fair enough, sorry. Was also looking for entity ID in the log but it's not there sadly.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
In future, try not to mess with entities' origins unless they are actually needed (rotating/moving objects).

You can pretty easily mess up origins via certain methods of dragging stuff around. Sometimes the origin will just stay where it was, without any effort to do so on your part. Easy problem to run into.