An automated rocket launcher

Yourself

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2009
I'd like to be able to create an automated rocket launcher in map. One that could be used as a trap, for example.

I've succeeded in making this, but it's missing one very crucial feature:

It doesn't do damage to players.

What I've done is used an env_entity_maker to create a templated tf_projectile_rocket with a given speed and direction. It fires rockets which explode on impact, but the rockets don't do damage. Since the projectile entity doesn't show up in hammer, I don't have any smart edit features so I tried creating a TeamNum key and changing its value to see if that would work, but apparently it doesn't do anything. I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas about how I might go about doing this (if it's even possible).

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
for a second i thought you could put a trigger_hurt on the projectiles, but you said they aren't in hammer so not sure that'd work...but if you could, that might be a solution. Sort of like a train from Well, just in the form of a rocket. perhaps?

Yourself

Jun 13, 2009
I thought about that, but I don't think that would cause any knockback or proper splash damage (correct me if I'm wrong). I'd do that if I wanted people to always die by getting hit, but I don't want to do that. I want players to be able to rocket jump with them if they time it right.

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
oooh, then yeah that's something completely different i think. When i read trap, i understood death =)

Yourself

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, I want to avoid adding things that unavoidably kill people. Those are never fun. It just needs to be a hazard, not a death sentence. The reason I don't want to simply lower the damage is that if I'm going to have rockets, they need to behave in a way consistent with other rockets in the game.

The entity is there...you'd think there'd be a way to make it do damage.