ambient_color artifacts

squintik

L2: Junior Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hi,

I'm having some strange lighting artifacts in some specific places in my map ... and I don't have any idea how to fix this, so I'm posting here hoping someone already had the same kind of problem.
Here is a screenshot of the problem : (the blue lighting on the building facade)

As you can see with the other shadows on the screenshot (like the pillars shadow on the bottom right part), the light_environment has a different direction and color. (the blue color is the ambient color of my light_environment)

I don't see anything wrong in the compile log, and nothing related to lighting in the check map for errors neither.
I only have one light_environment, one shadow_control, no dynamic light, etc...
I tried compiling with only the light_environment (without all the other light and light_spot) and the problem was still there.
I tried compiling without the 3d sky, but it didn't help.
The only thing that "solved" the issue is to hide the last part of the map (I have round A and B linked together, but I separated C in order to optimize the map) ... which doesn't make any sense (and is obviously not a solution).

So, does anybody know what could create the ambient lighting to go crazy in some specific places ?

Thanks

squintik

Sep 9, 2009
Yeah, that's how I checked that I had only one. (there's not even another one hidden in visgroup or whatever)
I also tested changing the ambient color of my only light_environment, and the ambient lighting correctly changed everywhere ... and the artifact also changed color (so there was some "subtle" pink all over the place, and the artifact was also pink (but not "subtle" at all)
So, I'm sure that the problem doesn't come from another light ...

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Hmm... I'm not sure. You could try just tweaking things around. Remaking those brushes, pushing them in or out a few units, stuff like that. It feels like it would be an error in the surfaces causing it to goof up.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Maybe the ambient light's brightness value is too high? I dunno how that would produce yellow shadows, but if the color of your ambient light is that visible, it might be worth it to make sure it's not significantly brighter than the stuff in this list (keeping in mind that, of course, you can get away with higher brightness values if the color itself is dark).

squintik

Sep 9, 2009
By moving the map around (on the Z axis), I managed to find a place where I don't have any artifact ...
So, still no idea about what is causing that, but at least my lighting is correct now :)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I guess it was a subtler-than-usual artifact of VRAD's big annoying bug that people are always talking about.