CP Amaranth

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Berry, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Berry

aa Berry Sharing is caring, and I don't care

Positive Ratings:
    By Berry "Berry" Berry and Theo "TheoF114" Fletcher

Contest #10 (2 skillsets) map entry. Single-stage, two control point (gorge-style) attack/defend map. Merged with TheoF's 2 skillsets detail entry in November 2014, then continued to be updated as a regular beta map.

File redistribution on other mapping sites not permitted without asking. (gamebanana, tfmaps etc)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  2. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Updated some stuff, A is mostly done for now aside from lighting and a couple more props for cover.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Progress update. Done a nice chunk of the brushwork on B, and almost all of the brushwork on the A-B connector is done. The map is really starting to take form now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The clipped train is intended to be a moving one ala freight / well, so that won't be in the way when it's playable. Also decided on it definitely being gorge style as opposed to mountainlab style (I wanted to do some other stuff to it for it to be ML but I didn't think it was gonna work the way it was going).

4. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    A1
    Was tested straight away, so lots to do for an a2. Lack of images for current version.

5. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    very good for an a1. the first point didnt feel like something that would work well with a gorge-style gamemode with the elevator and like 3 routes red can attack the point at.

i dont understand the point of the forward red resupply at all, also.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    I've never been opposed to swapping things up a little to try how it works (referring to the forward resupply, which was originally a setup spawn).

As for the A point not working with gorge-style, could you go further into detail? I understand red currently have too many counter-flanks, which I'll change and add a little more defend-ability into the point.

As for the other main issues I overlooked such as that one door you can kill fresh spawners through (which originally had a slide door before I changed the exit) and a couple other small things (mostly at B and on the connector) I'll also make sure to change for A3.

7. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    A3

8. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    A4

9. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe you already fixed it, but in the 3rd screenshot in the first post, there's a curragated metal thing in the bottom right, that was very annoying to pass around as a heavy, because it was very close to the train traffic light, and I kept getting stuck there. (or maybe the heavy is just too fat).

10. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Is it the ramp up to the train (which still needs clipping), or on the side of a building?

11. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    The props_hydro/metal_barrier03.mdl seen in the bottom right of the 3rd screenshot is too close to the props_trainyard/train_signal002.mdl. I also left feedback (from the imp on thursday).

12. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    A5

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Took a lot of feedback from gameday video (8th, not 15th). Quite a few major changes.

A6

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  14. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Mostly changes to B now that A plays better.

A7

15. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    this is fun as fuck finish it or i will kill you

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    I don't intend on stopping, but I think it should be pretty done in a few more alphas.

17. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    A8

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  18. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    A9

19. Bereth

Bereth L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Here are my thoughts on maybe improving some of the flow/sniper problems on your map.

From this spot you can see 3 of the four spawn exits (red), and the only other route (green). Perhaps a bit far forward for a sniper, but it means that any flank is very exposed.

[​IMG]

I recommend: (red is buildings, blue is bridge, green is fence).

[​IMG]

It would mean that there is only power from the sniper if you take the outdoor direct route, and the indoor/flank routes aren't exposed. It also makes the map less linear in that area.

The second point has the problem that you basically grind yourself at one route before you have any options to flank. It makes the map dull for red and frustrating for blu. I recommend: (red is building, black indoor flooring, blue windows, green tunnel)

[​IMG]

It means that you have a pure flank route as red, and can still keep the interesting train and health pack. It would also remove this area which is frustrating to get stuck in:

[​IMG]

Also noticed you haven't fixed this optimization bug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Berry

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, I'll keep all of those in mind. While I'm not fond of re-doing the BLU spawn too much (I'm happy with it as it is), I'll definitely make quite a few changes, especially to reduce or remove sightlines.