Alternate to Hammer?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 1Fort 2Fort, Jul 19, 2010.

1. 1Fort 2Fort

1Fort 2Fort L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So for a while Hammer worked fine. I made a simple box map I got in game, and a spawn room. Now that I try art_pass, the thing only wants to crash. :facepalm:Is there any alternate? I cant figure out whats crashig it and Id reallky like to make maps.

BTW is anyones else getting a srange grey shape floatind abouve you in blu spawn? My friend and I both did and we're wondering how you get rid of it.

2. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    When does it crash? Does it throw up any error messages? And does the grey shape appear on any other maps?

3. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is the strange grey shape ingame? If so that is also happening to me but all over the map, like a huge shadow passes over the map.

4. 1Fort 2Fort

Positive Ratings:
    first, it crashes when i do normal things like apply textures or add an entity. no errors. no nothing. just shuts down. the grey shap does show in game! yeah like a shadow! only on the art_pass map, but i have a custom hat mod that spread to every character in the game, dispensers, teliporters, sentries and even health packs!

5. Bad Vlad

Bad Vlad L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you know C++, you can just type the map, but there's no guaranteeing your text editor won't crash.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. 1Fort 2Fort

Positive Ratings:
    nope. dont know c++. sounds neat though.

7. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
  8. 1Fort 2Fort

Positive Ratings:
    looks like it might be worth learning. i cant stand hammer crashing every time i finish a room.

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Nobody's made a fully functional Hammer clone, if that's what you mean. Mapping for a single game engine is a much smaller niche than, say, graphics editing. So, no, there's no GIMP to Hammer's Photoshop.

10. 1Fort 2Fort

Positive Ratings:
    meh. and im a gimp/ blender guy too. oh well. save save save....

11. Bad Vlad

Bad Vlad L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, I was joking. Typing out a map is like making a photoshop image by manually colouring every pixel in MSpaint.