Alter skybox wrapping?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
I'm working on lighting right now for a map I finally started, and I want the environment lighting to come from a particular direction. Besides altering the actual pitch and direction in the light_environment entity, it also needs to match up with the sun in the skybox. The way I've figured, the sun needs to be in the first 1/3 of the texture, but most TF2 skyboxes are in the middle or the last 1/3. Is there a way of rotating it in Hammer to match up the sun with the lighting without altering the actual texture?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
no. You'll have to alter the texture if you want to do anything other than full 90 degree rotations

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Valve couldn't even be bothered to rotate Barnblitz to come close to lining up with the visible light source in it. You're already putting more thought into this than they did.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
Rotate your map in an instance perhaps?

You could also make a fake skybox cube and arbitrarily rotate that.

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
You could also make a fake skybox cube and arbitrarily rotate that.
And before you think its inefficient and a poor thing to do. rd_asteroid does the same thing for the black background which still allows light through it. That same trick can work for such skybox but its very likely the texture would move with the player.
If you do this then your skybox probably would have to be at a 64 scale instead of 16. And this could making the 3d skybox a bit anoying without instances.