Alright, this is random.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fr0Z3nR, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, so as of recently, people have been talking about physics and other things of the sort in gameday testing. Being an Astronomy and Astrophysics major, I know a little bit about the subject. I think I mentioned in once in the tests that I wrote a paper on the ethical treatment of aliens. If you have seen District 9, and enjoyed it, this might be enjoyable for you. If you like to read about aliens, this will be enjoyable. If you don't like to read, see the short version I have at the bottom.

Link to file here
    For those who didn't read (which I assume is all of you): Aliens who reach us are either curious, in trouble, or want to kill us. We have to treat each case on its own case by case basis. If they are going to intentially hurt us, then we fight back, if its accidently, then we act like a parent and "punish" them. If they are here for peace, then, we act peaceful, but cautious.

(C) Me. as of 2010.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. Zhan

Zhan L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I get a dropbox 403 error. Perhaps you need to put it in your public folder?

3. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^This.

Or you could just copy/paste the contents?

4. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I copied/pasted and use the /code tags, when i click the link it works fine, and its in the public folder. Let me see what I can do.

EDIT: well if you don't mind wall of text, here you are.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    Reading this while Harleboss is playing is one of strangest things i have done in a while.
    Yes, i did read all of it.

6. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I read it. Interesting read, thanks.

7. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't expect anyone to want a read a wall of text... Thanks guys

8. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Eh, nice essay, but no major revelations.

9. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    Spoiler: In next essay, drp is Doctor Who.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    That was a pretty good summary. Shorten it up and make pamphlets :D

Depending on alien societies priorities and characteristics there may be many that are more intelligent than us but haven't developed space travel because they are focusing on different technologies, like psychic transmitters and brighter cell phone screens.

11. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    If we visit an alien planet, i put good money on us exploiting their land and eventually wiping them out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Right but their land won't necessarily have anything we can immediately use. Might not even have dirt!

13. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    Hell, if each alien lived on its own pebble, MARS ALIEN HOME-PEBBLES would be the next must-buy christmas consumer good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thing is, distance between possible life-harboring planets is VAST. Almost unfathomably so. Chances of us actually coming into contact with an intelligent life form that doesn't originate on our planet is negligible, simply because that other planet is most likely incredibly distant. I'm not trying to say life isn't common in the universe, just that it's really spread out.

With that said, there are still many things we don't yet understand, so it could be that, in the future, we would be able to travel those distances reasonably. I don't think there's any likelihood of an alien encounter any time soon, though.

15. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    I actually really like the idea of a bunch of humans on a spaceship being told "Ok, keep your species alive, you're on your own forever, keep reproducing until your descendednts find something cool." There's some good psycho-sci-fi there.

16. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    When I first finished this essay, it was right before Stephen hawking made the "all aliens who can reach earth are going to kill us" stance.

/undermined.

I was told I should try and get it published somewhere, I didn't/haven't/won't.

17. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    There are 3 reasons I can see of why Intelligent life hasn't come to us, or we havn't found intelligent life;

1. Maybe it's just not physically possible to travel that far. Theories state that we can't travel light speed, and then even if we manage to travel very close, it's still 4,2 years to the closest star apart from our sun. 4.2 years!

2. Maybe the natural course of civilizations are to self-destruct before they get a chance. Maybe someday we can travel to distant planets, but will that be before we kill ourselves with nuclear weapons or exploitation of the planets resources?

3. Maybe they just don't exist. It's taken Billions of years for life to get to a sentient state on earth. Maybe no where else has just had the infinite things life needs to start in that time. Of it it has happened, maybe the aliens are all singe-celled bacterias still.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's a pretty good certainty that alien life exists. ESPECIALLY if non-carbon life forms are out there (which I want to say has been confirmed somehwere).

I think the idea that intelligent aliens would necessarily want to kill us is interesting. My understanding is that they have no clue what our intentions would be, and therefore, in order to prevent any harm coming to them, they would just wipe us out. There are so many things that could happen upon coming into contact with aliens, but the chance of being annihilated sort of looms over the other outcomes. Allowing an alien to live is taking a huge risk, especially if they're considering those same risks, too.

That's actually a really silly reason to commit xenocide, but if the threat of being totally wiped out presents itself, even if it isn't certain, action will probably be taken.

19. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
  20. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Black holes exist.

Rexy now only speaks in pictures.

While I've never really stopped and thunk (yes thunk stfu) about our extraterrestial policy, I'm pretty sure that we won't visit them and they won't visit us in the near future simply because:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2