Alloy

CP Alloy rc3

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
Alloy - A Gravel Pit style map where C unlocks after the first capture

Workshop page

3rd place winner of the Dynamic Control Point contest!

Yrrzy - Layout
Phi - Artpass and some assorted gameplay changes/help

Alloy is a Gravel Pit style map set in and around a RED Steel Mill, where the final point becomes available after the first capture.
BLU can choose which point they wish to capture first and whether or not to capture the second before moving to C.
Each point awards different advantages to capturing C, and capturing both awards both advantages at once.

In short - Cap A or B to unlock C, cap C to win the game, capping both points makes it easier to cap C but each point gives its own advantage when captured alone.

Thanks to Egan for logic help

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
Thoughts from flying/running around as well as the test:

dmkF0jJ.png

There aren't a lot of routes to actually get up to the point (two in total, not counting explosives jumps). I assume this is intentional, but it seems limiting? Blue might have to rely heavily on jumping classes to be able to take the point, because most other classes will have to try and squeeze through the one staircase on the left. You could probably alleviate some of this pressure by adding a jump route (ie stacks of props that anyone can jump up) that leads up to the point.

Also, there's a missing handrail? I assume that it's intentional, since you can fall off that ledge without taking fall damage (while going over a railing makes you take fall damage), but it seems arbitrary (esp. considering that you can just alter your falling path over the railings to land on the stairs and not take fall damage anyways). I would add a railing in so that there's at least some disadvantage to camping up on the point.

ndu73po.jpg

There's not a lot to work with here as a player. No height advantages (aside from where Blue drops into the area) means that Red doesn't want to hold here, and Blue doesn't want to drop in (as they lose the height advantage they have really quickly. I don't really have any particular suggestions for the area, other than just to add stuff to it in general.

Also, A takes a really long time to cap. Not sure if that's intentional though - just seemed like it could've been a copy/paste mistake.

Something to consider: What if Blue could only cap A or B, but not both? Each cap would have a different "bonus" for attacking C. To balance this properly, you'd probably need to have one of the points considerably more difficult to attack, but also provide a larger bonus. This might be easy to grief, so be careful how you go about it.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
- lowered C cap time
- made dropdown at B more viable
- another small change between B and C

these are all minor changes just to make it more playable for gameday

Read the rest of this update entry...

RataDeOrdenador

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 12, 2015
Been testing the map for a bit,and it looks fun. Pretty "balanced" for an alpha version,but.

I don't undestand the mechanics of the last point. Let me explain:

- Without capturing any CP,C looks "trapped" in a small jail,where only scouts,soldiers and demos can reach (but can't capture,of course).

- Capturing one of the control points,it opens a small bridge so anyone can capture it,and ONLY leaves THAT small bridge for RED to defend.

- Capturing all CP opens that "jail",giving RED 2 more paths to defend.

...In my opinion,shouldn't that be the opposite? I mean: Capturing ONE of the CP will "open that jail" (AKA giving red three paths to defend last. The "main" bridge and the ones on the left and right)

Capturing BOTH CP will close the last 2 bridges,leaving only the main one as a path to capture last,and better hold the position with 3 walls covering them.

The way it is right now,BLU only needs to capture 1 CP and directly go to last. Only scouts/demos/soldiers could jump there in time (well,maybe pyros). The rest of the team MUST go the long way around.

I dunno,that's something I've been thinking for a while. Maybe it'll work? Maybe it won't? :V

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
I've been thinking of alternate C points and those are pretty much all the reasons why.
Next version should address a lot of those.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
- Redid C to make it work more
- Extended Red respawn time on caps
- Color-coded map
- Cleaned up some sightlines
- Changed B entrances
- Added new route to B point
- Fiddled with A-B-C connectors
- Reduced fog

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
- Made C larger, changed cap bonuses to make it easier to attack
- Cleaned up some brushwork and skyboxes, made B seem more open
- Roofed and lit some buildings
- Misc other changes probably

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
- Made area surrounding C larger
- Misc changes all around
- Some detailing to make A more interesting
- Spawn exit changes
- Widened area surrounding B

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
- lowered C area
- adjusted C connectors to accomodate
- raised B roof
- altered some stuff at A to nerf a sightline a little
- changed C cap time
- moved red spawn back and added a third exit

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Obligatory post to say detailing this was, and will be, really fun. Working with yrr is also a blast too. Can't wait to get this tested.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
You're only confirming my theory of you two being the same person if you were wondering.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
I mean, the similarities are continually stacking up.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Chat "rooms" don't count.

Yellow

L1: Registered
Sep 10, 2014
I think I tried A1 awhile ago. Looking forward to getting to testing it out again..... as soon as finals are not looming over me anymore ^^;

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
- Detailing updates
- Clipping/bugfixes
- The molten steel texture moves now and you sink into it and catch fire etc
- Reduced C cap time slightly

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
W5EZWCP.jpg

For some reason these giant pipes aren't rendering for me. I assume it's an issue with my config but I can't figure it out.