Allow engineers to build in spawn?

[Rx.] Christian Troy

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 23, 2017
Is there is work around to allow engineers to build in spawn with func_respawnroom? I would remove it but need it for a few func_respawnroomvisualizer that I have for both teams.

I gave func_nobuild a try with all 3 build options set to yes to allow it and that didn't seem to work.

I used to be able to use an extention from Alliedmods for this but the gamedata file is outdated preventing it from working.

Any other ideas?

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
If you need the func_respawnroom to exist, but you aren't worried about having people actually be inside the trigger (being inside lets them change class without dying, that sort of stuff), than you can just shrink it vertically so the trigger is only a small one covering the ceiling. Or you could just put the trigger anywhere in the map, but I'd keep it atleast in the actual spawn room for organizational purposes.

I don't believe there is a formal work around to let people build in spawn rooms, but this informal one will let them build inside the spawn room, but at the cost of having to die to switch classes and stuff like that.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
If you aren't dealing with an existing spawn, you could design it like Steel's blue spawn. It has an indoor portion that allows players to safely change class, and an outdoor portion that allows engineers to build. The no entry signs are relatively far away from spawn.

Also bear in mind that allowing engineers to build teleporters in spawn means that enemy spies can get in. Maybe add a team-filtered trigger_hurt if you want to keep them out.

[Rx.] Christian Troy

Jan 23, 2017
After quite a bit of tinkering and some ideas here, I came up with something that works!

First was taking Nicky's idea and moving the trigger to the ceiling while making it only 2 units thick. Then I added the func_changeclass for the make shift respawnroom effect (thank you Dr. Orange!). I gave lowering it to the floor a try but even keeping inside the floor prevented engineers from building. However there was still a really odd problem before I got it working...

As Idolon mentioned it would be a good idea to have a trigger_hurt in place for spies. This is a slightly older map I decided to make some updates to and I had already had that trigger in place for the opposite team in each spawn room (and the spawn rooms were pretty much already set in stone). For some odd reason this still prevented the engineers from building until I removed it. o_O It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal though. The server has spawn protection enabled and in testing players from the other team seem to like destroying the teleport entrance just because it is there. :D

Thank you guys! Only a few of my maps it's a good idea to allow building in spawn as the object of them is to just slaughter the other team. ;)

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
They updated trigger hurt to act as a no build a year or two ago to fix exploits such as upward where you could build teleporters in the fall trigger if you were fast enough

[Rx.] Christian Troy

Jan 23, 2017
They updated trigger hurt to act as a no build a year or two ago to fix exploits such as upward where you could build teleporters in the fall trigger if you were fast enough

That explains a lot! :p

Being a little determined, I played with raising the trigger_hurt off the floor. Moving the bottom of the trigger to 60 off the floor (average class chest height) while keeping the top at the ceiling, engineers were able to build in spawn with the trigger in place. Even if a spy on the opposite team goes through crouching, they come out dead at the exit inside spawn. ;)

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
I once achieved it by moving the func_respawnroom 88 units above the ground, so it would let me both switch classes/loadouts and build. If you wish blocking a specific building, use the func_nobuild entity on that empty volume.