Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Muddy, Apr 12, 2015.
Decided to give the Coal Town theme a whirl.
WO-OO-A-AH-AH wavy hills
lost horizon is amazin'
Why post that here
Also i drew this up because i didn't know how to !gf this idea to you (mind my amazing paint skills)
The band, not the map.
I just gave this a quick run-through and the first thing I noticed was that it's basically just various buildings peppered across relatively flat ground. You could add more height variation in the terrain instead of relying on multi-story buildings to provide that.
I also agree with those on the feedback page who said it's too open. If I were you, I'd watch the demo(s) and see which areas aren't used or fought in as much, scale them down, and try to redesign them as flanks instead of battle areas.
Lastly, that little balcony on each side doesn't feel like it offers much of an advantage (for snipers especially) because you walk out and are immediately faced with the wall of the cap point building. I didn't play the map with a full game so I'm not sure on that, though.
Who is Alison !!! >:-(
Cheers! I was worried about the openness and flatness, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't just me being paranoid. I have a few ideas on how I could vary the height and tighten up the gameplay spaces. And I might use the sniper balcony for something else, maybe an alternate route to the point through the windows so that route isn't limited to rocket jumpers and sticky jumpers.
No-one in particular, though I used to have a friend whose mum was called Alison.
It looks oddly more empty and less developed than your other maps, Mudpie.
Oh! Ok. It's already a nice name
Waaaaay too open. Heavies and Snipers dominated during the imp. You also might want to try and obstruct the sightline going horizontally across the point from either side cos loads of Snipers just sat at one end and shot anyone entering the CP building.
I'm trying to kick my habit of over-detailing maps in Alpha stage.
Ah, I saw the name of the map and I thought, "I wonder if this is one of Ms. Mudpie's..."
Seriously, though, it looks pretty good.
Interesting ideas. I'll keep 'em in mind.
Gotta keep up my "giving maps human names" reputation. And thanks!
* tightened up the map
* added a platform surrounding the spawn buildings
* rotated the control point hut by exactly 90 degrees
* turned the big grey building next to the garage into gameplay space
* added ramps leading to the windows of the control point hut so now all classes can access that area
* added a direct-ish route from the yard outside the garage to the sniper balcony
* added and changed some health/ammo kits
* added func_respawnroomvisualisers (oops)
* fixed some misaligned textures
* changed the control point name to a reference more people will get
Personally, I wasn't a fan of... most of the height variation in this version of the map? I didn't play the previous, but it felt more often than not that if someone had the high ground (which they often did, due to how much there is) you're basically screwed from the word go.
The roof above the point; while I did sort of like it, it is a bit too finicky to get there. Like, you've got a small pile of boxes as the method to get up there, but that takes like, three finicky jumps to actually get onto the box. More often than not I was looking at more where I was jumping than where I was being shot from.
I actually updated this map last night but I was too tired to write up a changelog, so here it is now.
* removed dump truck
* made the roof of the garage flatter and removed the clipping from it so players can now walk all over that shit
* added windows to the hotel which players can access by the garage roof
* raised the roof of the hotel to make it clear it's out of bounds
* rotated the environment lighting
* fixed displacements sticking up through the floor
* fixed rocks floating in the air
* changed some ammo and health kits
* maybe other stuff too
Separate names with a comma.