Alien Swarm elements in TF2?

temion

L2: Junior Member
Aug 16, 2008
I'm curious, since Alien Swarm is free, on source, and will have a GFC, will i be legally able to utilize it's textures/models in a tf2 map?

While i understand that legally you can't give away content from a game that has a price tag attached, this one is a free title.

So will I be allowed to do it or will valve hunt me down? I haven't even finished downloading the game, nor have I any current project that can utilize this stuff, but I like the idea of expanding my model library for future projects.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Wouldn't recommend you do this. Even if the game is free, dosen't mean copyrights aren't in place. Why not just map for Alienswarm?

temion

Aug 16, 2008
Why not just map for Alienswarm?

I just thought it would be interesting to have a giant alien in a tf2 map or something. I'm really only interested in tf2 at the moment for developing for, so unless this game blows my mind I probably will stick to mapping tf2

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I haven't even played the game yet, but I can already guarantee whatever you find to use won't fit the theme. People get upset when a map has Half-Life textures in it, much less a space game.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
The AS textures look very much like the HL2 ones, but a tad more cartoony. Don't use them, although I think you technically could.

TheTurnip

Mar 2, 2010
I definitely wouldn't use them for the contest, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few things from there crop up in a TF2 map (or vice versa. It'd be very awesome to make an Alien Swarm map in a TF2 environment...hmm...), as it looks like the stuff from alien swarm would fit a lot better into TF2 than the HL2 textures do.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
It uses the VPK system, not GCF.

Speaking of which, could anybody with experience in L4D(2) explain the loading order for those? AFAIK you start from gameinfo.txt and then whenever you see pak01.vpk in a search path it gets mounted.

temion

Aug 16, 2008
Sorry to necro, but i (finally) got a response from valve on this.

Hi George.
Sorry for the late reply on this one.

1) I'm not involved in the OSX SDK work, and all I got was a "we're working on it" when I poked at the guys doing it, so I can't give you any more info on that, sorry.
2) I'm not aware of this change. Can you give me some more info? When you say blacklisted, what do you mean?
3) You're welcome to use assets in our SDKs (like Alien Swarm's SDK) in any of our products.

Robin.

Its free reign. We can just have fun with it. I'm going to go ahead and unpack everything from alien swarm and dump it in my tf2 folder and see if there is anything good. I'm sure there is plenty worthwhile there. :)