Alien Swarm elements in TF2?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by temion, Jul 19, 2010.

1. temion

temion L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm curious, since Alien Swarm is free, on source, and will have a GFC, will i be legally able to utilize it's textures/models in a tf2 map?

While i understand that legally you can't give away content from a game that has a price tag attached, this one is a free title.

So will I be allowed to do it or will valve hunt me down? I haven't even finished downloading the game, nor have I any current project that can utilize this stuff, but I like the idea of expanding my model library for future projects.

2. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wouldn't recommend you do this. Even if the game is free, dosen't mean copyrights aren't in place. Why not just map for Alienswarm?

3. temion

Positive Ratings:
    I just thought it would be interesting to have a giant alien in a tf2 map or something. I'm really only interested in tf2 at the moment for developing for, so unless this game blows my mind I probably will stick to mapping tf2

4. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't even played the game yet, but I can already guarantee whatever you find to use won't fit the theme. People get upset when a map has Half-Life textures in it, much less a space game.

5. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    The AS textures look very much like the HL2 ones, but a tad more cartoony. Don't use them, although I think you technically could.

6. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Some of the props looks like they could carry over with the right modifications.

7. TheTurnip

TheTurnip L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I definitely wouldn't use them for the contest, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few things from there crop up in a TF2 map (or vice versa. It'd be very awesome to make an Alien Swarm map in a TF2 environment...hmm...), as it looks like the stuff from alien swarm would fit a lot better into TF2 than the HL2 textures do.

8. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Someone port tf2 to as quick.

9. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It uses the VPK system, not GCF.

10. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Speaking of which, could anybody with experience in L4D(2) explain the loading order for those? AFAIK you start from gameinfo.txt and then whenever you see pak01.vpk in a search path it gets mounted.

11. temion

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry to necro, but i (finally) got a response from valve on this.

Its free reign. We can just have fun with it. I'm going to go ahead and unpack everything from alien swarm and dump it in my tf2 folder and see if there is anything good. I'm sure there is plenty worthwhile there. :)