Akira Gets Green Light for Remake

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22154/-akira-remake-gets-the-green-light

I think Akira is as close to perfect and so awesomely 80s anime-ish of the time it was made in, I can't really believe that any remake is going to do anything better other than just make money for the pockets of hollywood. Your thoughts on this? Personally I think some anime achieves something that live action has no hope of ever being able to display on film.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
It's going to be awful and the worst part is it will probably have enough stuff from the original that people are going to say it's brilliant and amazing.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I could see an animated remake... but not live action. There is no way they are going to allot the CGI budget required to match (let alone surpass) what it was in current day expectations.

Mr. Wimples

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 27, 2010
I strongly dislike remakes most of the time. In this case I'd rather they didn't, especially because it's going to be live-action. One of the few justifiable remakes I've seen done is regarding the Neon Genesis Evangelion animated series; the original animated series was cut short because they basically ran out of time and money, then just recently they remade it in a series of very well-done movies to make up for how the series was cut short. This is hardly a similar case though. Most likely it'll wind up as one of those things that I'll pretend doesn't exist. Kind of like some sort of sequel to Dragon Age: Origins.

EDIT: And while I remember, supposedly the same thing is happening with Cowboy BeBop, directed by Keanu Reeves. As of late, though, production has been a bit bumpy http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/04/05/cowboy-bebop-keanu-reeves/

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
*sigh*

I doubt this'll ever get made, considering they'll have to spend god-knows how much money on the CGI. Even they do, this project will flop completely.

Last edited:

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
1274052857569.jpg