Aggressive Optimization

Malachite Man

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 16, 2015
What are examples you have seen in maps. Where there's some trick pulled off that's in the name of Framerate. ie. A 3D object being a 2D plain instead, etc

Let me Start it off:
Screenshot_90.png
The far of cacti of Decoy are 2D images

Yaki

aa
Sep 3, 2018
I managed to get the number of area portals down by about 900 by using a combination of hint/skip and func_visclusters.

Here are some pictures of a Degroot Keep-style watchtower using and not using hint/skip or func_viscluster. Valve kept the watchtower a world brush too, and put a hint brush on all the outward facing sides of the tower to keep the visleafs from splitting wildly. Additionally, I used some func_visclusters to cut down on those splits inside that hint/skip box, to reduce compile time and optimize the map.

Keep in mind: This is a map with four identical towers and several additional optimizations using func_viscluster and hint/skips so the portalclusters/numportals don't really reflect the power of func_viscluster/hint-skip.

Without any hint/skip or func_visclusters:
1127 portalclusters
3047 numportals
func_viscluster2.png

With only hint/skip brushes and no func_viscluster.
1245 portalclusters
3336 numportals
func_viscluster3.png

With BOTH hint/skip and func_viscluster.
810 portalclusters
2458 numportals
func_viscluster.png

Last edited:

B!scuit

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 12, 2016
Fun fact: you can make an areaportal out of multiple brushes, so long as they align on the same plane
drydock_areaportal.jpg

Don't be afraid to use them outdoors! (badwater does something similar between A & B)