After Train, Nuke gets an overhaul in CS:GO

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Just look for yourself.

All I can say is
xgSLWw0.png

How can Source still look this good? Can we have any of it? CS:GO's shadow system would be great in TF2.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
I get around 50 fps @ A site when I used to get 300.
This level also improves almost nothing, and the map is still as CT sided as ever.
The removal of Toxic is nice, but replacing it with yet another CT route is just dumb, I can't see any flow being improved from it being there.
Overall I would have hoped they did more other than move a few crates around, not to mention that the Shipping containers don't have a penetration argument, so bullets go through them like butter. (You can shoot through Red outside and it passes straight through end to end.)

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
I don't like CSGO, but I will say this time and time again. The maps are done fucking beautifully and the mapping team from the official valve team to the community need to be applauded on how amazing these maps are created.

Kirby4242

L1: Registered
Aug 18, 2015
The mappers at Valve are really squeezing everything it can out of the engine. It looks beautiful!

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Because basically the entire map is modeled, and CS:GO has a projected texture for environment lighting.

It's not a projected texture, it's a set of cascade shadow maps that scale their resolution based on client location. It's a really cool system, but wouldn't really fit in TF2 style. Our shadows need to be more diffuse to look correct.

Is Nuke the main thing that was changed? I saw it was 1.6GB, I think that's the biggest patch I've seen for CS:GO at one time.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
It's not a projected texture, it's a set of cascade shadow maps that scale their resolution based on client location. It's a really cool system, but wouldn't really fit in TF2 style. Our shadows need to be more diffuse to look correct.

Is Nuke the main thing that was changed? I saw it was 1.6GB, I think that's the biggest patch I've seen for CS:GO at one time.
That, plus 7 more community maps and a new campaign *ahem* operation.

Flower_Shop_Guy

♪ -- ♫ -- ♪
aa
Mar 10, 2015
*sarcasm* "Blah, Blah looks overedetaled, blah, blah, they shoud simplified and clip everething" *sarcasm*

Last edited:

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
*sarcazm* "Blah, Blah looks overedetaled, blah, blah, they shoud simplified and clip everething" *sarcazm*
This new Nuke is probably a really good example to look at for how to make a map look detailed without actually overdetailing; theres very little visual noise and your eyes arent drawn outside of the play area too much.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
So where is Cedar Creek supposed to be? Previously it was a German facility taken by Russians, right?

It's a really gorgeous update.

Viemärirotta

sniffer
aa
Feb 5, 2016
So where is Cedar Creek supposed to be? Previously it was a German facility taken by Russians, right?

It's a really gorgeous update.

Really. Gorgeous. But I feel slightly weird that it hopped from Germany to somewhere in the US. I guess they called the house movers.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
This new Nuke is probably a really good example to look at for how to make a map look detailed without actually overdetailing; theres very little visual noise and your eyes arent drawn outside of the play area too much.

+1. The ceilings are debatable. Yellow lattice braces and support structures all over the place. I think it fits, but maybe competitive will complain it's distracting?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I'm glad Nuke is getting overhauled. Somewhere around Left 4 Dead, Valve decided to tone down the grittiness of the textures and go for a more stylized look, even in their "realistic" looking games, but Nuke was basically copypasted straight from Counter-Strike: Source, textures and all, and it shows compared to the maps they actually redid like Office.

I'm not convinced that they do, but I'd love to see someone recreate a TF2 map in CS:GO and post some screenshots to prove me wrong.

Ironically, though, it looks like the first, outdoor screenshot was rendered with sharp shadows turned off, for some reason. Or is that something that automatically happens when you're far away?