After Train, Nuke gets an overhaul in CS:GO

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Vel0city, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Vel0city

aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

Positive Ratings:
    Just look for yourself.

All I can say is
    [​IMG]

How can Source still look this good? Can we have any of it? CS:GO's shadow system would be great in TF2.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    I get around 50 fps @ A site when I used to get 300.
    This level also improves almost nothing, and the map is still as CT sided as ever.
    The removal of Toxic is nice, but replacing it with yet another CT route is just dumb, I can't see any flow being improved from it being there.
    Overall I would have hoped they did more other than move a few crates around, not to mention that the Shipping containers don't have a penetration argument, so bullets go through them like butter. (You can shoot through Red outside and it passes straight through end to end.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Because basically the entire map is modeled, and CS:GO has a projected texture for environment lighting.

4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    *chants* CSM! CSM! CSM! CSM!

(And probably a dash of AO)

• Like Like x 1
  5. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    I don't like CSGO, but I will say this time and time again. The maps are done fucking beautifully and the mapping team from the official valve team to the community need to be applauded on how amazing these maps are created.

6. Kirby4242

Kirby4242 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The mappers at Valve are really squeezing everything it can out of the engine. It looks beautiful!

7. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    It's not a projected texture, it's a set of cascade shadow maps that scale their resolution based on client location. It's a really cool system, but wouldn't really fit in TF2 style. Our shadows need to be more diffuse to look correct.

Is Nuke the main thing that was changed? I saw it was 1.6GB, I think that's the biggest patch I've seen for CS:GO at one time.

8. Vel0city

Positive Ratings:
    That, plus 7 more community maps and a new campaign *ahem* operation.

9. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    (they had 'campeigns' before we did :p )

10. Vel0city

Positive Ratings:
    yeah i know. had to make the joke somehow, failed terribly. that's why i'm not a comedian.

11. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I give you brownie points for effort.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Vel0city

Positive Ratings:
    weeeeeeeeee

13. Flower_Shop_Guy

aa Flower_Shop_Guy ♪ ------------ ♫ ------------ ♪

Positive Ratings:
    *sarcasm* "Blah, Blah looks overedetaled, blah, blah, they shoud simplified and clip everething" *sarcasm*

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  14. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Is all the grass in Nuke part of the improved detail system, or are they all models? If it's all generated by the blend texture as before, they're getting into Frostbite foliage territory. Neat stuff.

[​IMG]

15. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    This new Nuke is probably a really good example to look at for how to make a map look detailed without actually overdetailing; theres very little visual noise and your eyes arent drawn outside of the play area too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    So where is Cedar Creek supposed to be? Previously it was a German facility taken by Russians, right?

It's a really gorgeous update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Somewhere in the Midwest now, I think.

18. Viperi

aa Viperi not actually a snek

Positive Ratings:
    Really. Gorgeous. But I feel slightly weird that it hopped from Germany to somewhere in the US. I guess they called the house movers.

19. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    +1. The ceilings are debatable. Yellow lattice braces and support structures all over the place. I think it fits, but maybe competitive will complain it's distracting?

20. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'm glad Nuke is getting overhauled. Somewhere around Left 4 Dead, Valve decided to tone down the grittiness of the textures and go for a more stylized look, even in their "realistic" looking games, but Nuke was basically copypasted straight from Counter-Strike: Source, textures and all, and it shows compared to the maps they actually redid like Office.

I'm not convinced that they do, but I'd love to see someone recreate a TF2 map in CS:GO and post some screenshots to prove me wrong.

Ironically, though, it looks like the first, outdoor screenshot was rendered with sharp shadows turned off, for some reason. Or is that something that automatically happens when you're far away?