Adding sceenshots to the sourcesdk gamehub

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
***EDIT it seems valve has shut down the sdk gamehub, this guide has no purpose now***

So as you all know, gamehubs have been added to steam. One of those is the sdk gamehub http://steamcommunity.com/app/211/
This gamehub is a pretty nice place to showcase your work but it looks pretty sad atm. I think it would be great to populate it with more tf2 content.
If you wanted a steam workshop for maps, this gamehub is as close at it gets.

Unfortunately adding screenshots to this gamehub is not exactly userfriendly as there is no screenshot function in source sdk. So here's a quick guide to add your tf2 screenshots in the source sdk gamehub.
note: I have not experimented a lot with this and you can most likely streamline this process.

First and foremost you will want to take a steam screenshot from tf2. This screenshot will be stored in
C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\8NUMBERS \760\remote\440\screenshots\ (8NUMBERS being a unique numeric name made of 8 characters)
440 is tf2's steam appid. what we want to do is create a folder for sourcesdk's appid, 211. but first, I recommend you exit steam.

here are the folders you will need to create.
Steam\userdata\8NUMBERS\760\remote\211
Steam\userdata\8NUMBERS\760\remote\211\screenshots
Steam\userdata\8NUMBERS\760\remote\211\screenshots\thumbnails

Now you will take the screenshot you want to publish in \440\screenshots and move it to \211\screenshots
Next you will want to do the same thing for the matching thumbnail. you find it in \440\screenshots\thumbnails and move it to \211\screenshots\thumbnails.

Now launch steam and from the main window, go to "My profile > My Screenshots". Click on upload screenshots and if done correctly, the source sdk option will be available in the sceenshot manager.

sourcesdk.jpg

Find your picture and upload it!

While you're there make sure to thumb up the work of fellow tf2 mappers and you're good to go!

Now I need to figure out how to add videos in this gamehub

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Is this screenshots only or can you add in links to map downloads?

I guess you can put URLs in the image description.

Would be pretty sweet to turn it into some kind of map hub. Is there any way for random users to end up on the page, or do they have to actually visit the SDK hub?

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Is this screenshots only or can you add in links to map downloads?

I guess you can put URLs in the image description.

Would be pretty sweet to turn it into some kind of map hub. Is there any way for random users to end up on the page, or do they have to actually visit the SDK hub?
nothing stops you from adding urls in the descriptions or comments but I'll be honest here, chances of random users landing on that page are slim. your friends will see pictures posted by you in their feeds but that's about it.
however, one can hope that valve will take notice of what happens in the gamehub and add functionalities geared toward mapping. it's not a map workshop, but I feel we can take it in that direction

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Hate to be a downer here, but the reason this is empty is because most people don't even know the source sdk gamehub exists, let alone look at it. Why don't we just post to the tf2 gamehub, and then link stuff here so we can all thumbs-up each other's stuff and get that seen?

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Hate to be a downer here, but the reason this is empty is because most people don't even know the source sdk gamehub exists, let alone look at it. Why don't we just post to the tf2 gamehub, and then link stuff here so we can all thumbs-up each other's stuff and get that seen?

I'm kinda seperated here. You're very much right that noone uses the SDK gamehub, but in the TF2 one, you'll have to compete with 5,6 million other community contributions <_<

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
With the file location that fubarFX provided, you can add any picture from your computer to your steam screenshots. So if you wanted to, you could take print screens inside hammer and post them in your SDK screenshots area. I used it to post some old pictures of my maps that I took before the screenshot update.