Adding Hint/Skip creates more Numportals

XEnderFaceX

F1 Fan
Aug 18, 2015
Hey,

Im trying to learn how to optimize my Maps with Hint/Skip,
So i put alot of Hint/Skip into my current map, similar to how Harvest does it,
But for me it increased like 3000 Numportals, making it 6000 in total, but Harvest only has 2000.
What am i doing wrong?, am i placing them Wrong?

I would appreciate an Answer.

Thank You

nᵗʰSonata

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
Nope, hint cuts visibility, so adding hint brushes will almost always create more portals. I'd suggest reading up on how optimization works; here is a guide on Nodraw.net which is pretty accessible and easy to understand, and here is a much more in-depth guide on Interlopers about the specifics of how everything works. Generally, the more visleaves, the better, as it'll allow the game more easily calculate what the player can and cannot see, which will make the game run better; however, calculating visleaves takes the compiler a long time, so you should take the time to make sure there aren't a bunch of smaller visleaves that won't help optimize the running in-game much by turning brushes which don't meaningfully block visibility into func_detail brushes.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Nope, hint cuts visibility, so adding hint brushes will almost always create more portals.
It's a bit more complicated than that. For one thing, the hint cuts can block other cuts from spilling over (or entirely being made).