Adding an AI Enemy to a Map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Aqwertybqwerty, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Aqwertybqwerty

Aqwertybqwerty L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Specifically, if I wanted to create a new kind of AI enemy similar to monoculous or the HHH, how would I go about that? Are they hardcoded into the game, or can they be created entirely within hammer?

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You can't add a new Mono or HHH at the moment, they are pseudo hardcoded in...

As in, you can place THEM into your map, but you can't make your own. to act like them, without modding.

3. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
    Ah, ok.Well, there goes my dream of an alien payload map :p

4. Another Bad Pun

Server Staff Another Bad Pun bird of prey

Positive Ratings:
    How do you get the HHH into the map anyway? I wanted it in my ctf map, but I didn't know how.

5. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    first you need to place a tf_logic_holiday entity in your map, and set it's holiday to Halloween

Before you do anything else, you need to put a prop_static of the HHH somewhere in your map, and ambient_generic entites of all his associated sounds. Run your map like that, and what it'll do is create a precache of the HHH and his animations, sounds, etc. If you don't, the map will crash.

Now once that's done, you need this setup:

env_entity_maker

name: maker
    point_template to spawn: hhh_template

point_template

name: hhh_template
    template 1: headless_hatman

headless_hatman (won't be in the fgd, you'll have to create this entity class yourself)

targetname: headless_hatman

Now all you need to do is send the entity maker a ForceSpawn output, and you should have a HHH spawning.

To actually make him move around though, you need a control point in your map (where he will be "attrcted" to), and a nav mesh. To make a nav mesh, turn sv_cheats on and type in console nav_generate

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, you could try to create a boss-enemy out of regular entities. A very basic example would be the train/sawblades but with some imagination and a good knowledge of source entities you can make some pretty crazy stuff.

7. Aqwertybqwerty

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, that's a good idea! I was thinking of a giant "mothership" hovering over the map, and every minute or two it would release 1 or more UFO "drones" that would bomb the map or, ideally, target players.

Of course, i'm not experienced with those kinds of entities yet, and I can't model at all...

8. Mr. Wimples

Mr. Wimples L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ahh, but where's Quakeman when you need him?

9. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
  10. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    So was i :D

Absolutely crazy btw