Add Maps to Steam Workshop

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Jan 20, 2010
Good afternoon, guys. Long time no see. I recently posted a thread in the TF2 Steam Workshop discussion forum about maps being officially added to the Workshop. I was wondering if you guys could jump on there and give a little feedback and/or support.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/discussion/900966950173463805/?appid=440

Edit: To summarize: I think it would be a fantastic idea if Maps were given full support on the Workshop. Given their own category and easy tools for map makers to update maps to newer versions. Perhaps Valve could make it so when a player joins a server with a custom map, the latest version is automatically DL'd from the Workshop server, specifically if the player has an outdated version. This would remove that absolutely obnoxious error that happens when the map version is not the same as the server. Of course, server owners could opt into this. It would probably be annoying for some servers to have it done automatically, but I think it could be very helpful.

Also, a ton of people look at the Workshop. I think adding them to the Workshop would add exposure to people who would not normally pay any attention to customs maps.

Of course, you can post comments here as well. I just want to get this as much visibility as possible. Mucho gracias, mi amigos.

Last edited:

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
This is an excellent suggestion and I wholeheartedly support it. Gonna go bump your thread.

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
I'm against it.

There are way more models constantly being made than anyone could reasonably keep track of. It's easy to judge if a model is good or not simply by looking at a few pictures, maybe seeing a video of it in action. The workshop format is excellent for evaluating which models the community wants in the game.

There are really only a handful of Valve-quality maps, and accurately gauging how good one is requires way more time, insight and effort than the average workshop browser can be expected to invest. I can't see a map workshop functioning in any satisfactory way.

Jan 20, 2010
As far as I'm aware, it could just be treated the same way Items are, which seems to be user moderated to a point.

I think you guys might have a bit of a low opinion of the community (understandably.) Of course Orange maps would likely be high up there, but I'm sure enjoyable, high quality maps would be there as well. Some moderation wouldn't be a bad idea though, yeah.

I'm against it.

There are way more models constantly being made than anyone could reasonably keep track of. It's easy to judge if a model is good or not simply by looking at a few pictures, maybe seeing a video of it in action. The workshop format is excellent for evaluating which models the community wants in the game.

There are really only a handful of Valve-quality maps, and accurately gauging how good one is requires way more time, insight and effort than the average workshop browser can be expected to invest. I can't see a map workshop functioning in any satisfactory way.

So we shouldn't do it just because maps are more complicated beasts than items?

Meh.

I think that is poor reasoning.

We already have that problem, whether they're added to the workshop or not. I think adding them would add exposure, and that is something we definitely need. It would also give more maps a chance to be recognized by Valve.

Last edited:

Deodorant

Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, but I just don't see the point. For items, community input is a very much needed sorting mechanism separating the good stuff from the junk. With maps, the good stuff is easy to keep track of.

I may be cynical, but I think a workshop for maps would just end up with droves of people on SPUF complaining about Valve not adding a bunch of pretty-looking and/or pony-themed maps with broken layouts.

Jan 20, 2010
my main concern is that you can't really apply the current voting system to maps.

It's just a thumbs up, thumbs down thing right?

I guess they should make it a little more complex. Maybe add ratings for level design, enjoyment, detailing, optimization, basically the things we have for contests. I don't think it'd be too difficult for them. Of course, what do I know?

Yeah, but I just don't see the point. For items, community input is a very much needed sorting mechanism separating the good stuff from the junk. With maps, the good stuff is easy to keep track of.

I may be cynical, but I think a workshop for maps would just end up with droves of people on SPUF complaining about Valve not adding a bunch of pretty-looking and/or pony-themed maps with broken layouts.

Yeah, you are being cynical.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I would like to think we aren't giving the community enough intelligence here. A lot of what I've seen is a very vocal minority, Orange mappers, Brony's, etc, and with a proper rating system, these anomalies can be averaged out (as shown with our public voting).

I wonder if there is any interest in this at Valve, any attempt to ask about it never creates any responses.

Mar 20, 2012
We're going to have to accept the fact that low quality maps will get popularity. It's inevitable and there's really not much you can do about it. However, I don't think it should sink the entire boat. I'm not so worried about a proper rating system as I am about good moderation (to remove broken maps and projects) and a good search function (so I don't have to scroll three six Orange maps to get to a quality standard map).

The mappers that want to develop will still come here. The guys that don't will still toss their stuff on GameBanana. It's not going to kill anyone that maps get more attention.

Jan 20, 2010
I would like to think we aren't giving the community enough intelligence here. A lot of what I've seen is a very vocal minority, Orange mappers, Brony's, etc, and with a proper rating system, these anomalies can be averaged out (as shown with our public voting).

I wonder if there is any interest in this at Valve, any attempt to ask about it never creates any responses.

Sometimes I think silence confirms they're working on it. xD Kind of a "Yeah, we're doing stuff, but we don't want to tell you. We want to make it a SURPRISE! :D"

Or something.

Still, some acknowledgement would be nice.

Also: Nice post Ravidge. Great words of wisdom.

Last edited:

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
ibrk41QYEtZmmE.jpg

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
You guys should spend some time on the workshop, all sorts of hilariously bad stuff is submitted.

PMAvers

Jan 29, 2008
At the very minimum, I'd totally be okay with it if just because it'd be a more efficient way to get files to players, and you can also add in all those files that normally can't be packed into bsp's and can't be downloaded via fastdl servers. Like intro movies.