Absolute noob question

jamesAboy19

L1: Registered
Oct 12, 2011
Hi guys, just starting out a game design and development course so wanted to try my hand at SDK, Ive done abit in UDK before but with that you can simply test your levels in the software.
Ive made a very basic level (walls, spawn and lighting) but how can i access it in TF2? Thats being the only other source game i have installed. Any help much appriciated :O

jamesAboy19

Oct 12, 2011
You need to open up the developers console (for most Americans its the ~ key, look in your options) and type "map [map name here]" (no [] or " ") that will open up your map, assuming you have compiled it.

Got it :) had to go into advanced keyboard options....now i just gotta fix the spawn point, keeps spawning me in the corner of my skybox rarther than where i placed it -.-

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Check it isn't blocked- they need to be ~16 units above the floor to not do that.

16 above the floor, and 16 away from anything else, or you will get an error. You can look at the dev console again and it will show you if there are any invalid spawn points. (it should be spamming it in red)

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
A good thing to do is open up one of the SDK copies of an official map that come with Hammer and take a look at how they have things set up.

=|[K|T]|= Raid

Oct 6, 2011
A good thing to do is open up one of the SDK copies of an official map that come with Hammer and take a look at how they have things set up.

When I do that all i get is 4 grid windows
I'm not use to SDK but is there away to show it in 3D with full shape/lighting/colour and texture
and edit it from there cause i wanna trick out alot of valve maps.

=|[K|T]|= Raid

Oct 6, 2011
if you click the upper left corn of the window and click "Textured polygon" view, it should pop up as textures...

This is through Hammer right?
~Edit
Oh wait nvm i got thx man it will take me a while to get use to it but its more simple now thx!

Last edited: