Absolute noob question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by jamesAboy19, Oct 12, 2011.

1. jamesAboy19

jamesAboy19 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi guys, just starting out a game design and development course so wanted to try my hand at SDK, Ive done abit in UDK before but with that you can simply test your levels in the software.
    Ive made a very basic level (walls, spawn and lighting) but how can i access it in TF2? Thats being the only other source game i have installed. Any help much appriciated :O

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    You need to open up the developers console (for most Americans its the ~ key, look in your options) and type "map [map name here]" (no [] or " ") that will open up your map, assuming you have compiled it.

3. jamesAboy19

jamesAboy19 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Got it :) had to go into advanced keyboard options....now i just gotta fix the spawn point, keeps spawning me in the corner of my skybox rarther than where i placed it -.-

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Check it isn't blocked- they need to be ~16 units above the floor to not do that.

5. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    16 above the floor, and 16 away from anything else, or you will get an error. You can look at the dev console again and it will show you if there are any invalid spawn points. (it should be spamming it in red)

6. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    A good thing to do is open up one of the SDK copies of an official map that come with Hammer and take a look at how they have things set up.

7. =|[K|T]|= Raid

=|[K|T]|= Raid L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    When I do that all i get is 4 grid windows
    I'm not use to SDK but is there away to show it in 3D with full shape/lighting/colour and texture
    and edit it from there cause i wanna trick out alot of valve maps.

8. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    if you click the upper left corn of the window and click "Textured polygon" view, it should pop up as textures...

9. =|[K|T]|= Raid

=|[K|T]|= Raid L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    This is through Hammer right?
    ~Edit
    Oh wait nvm i got thx man it will take me a while to get use to it but its more simple now thx!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011