A wild idea appeared!

SharkmanBriton

L1: Registered
Dec 29, 2015
So here is my idea: Medieval payload, pl_troy.
Basically, it's a multi-stage payload map with medieval mode on, and the payload cart is replaced with a trojan horse thats not scaled down! The horse would have a slower move speed though.
1st stage: up the beaches and through a forest on the way to Troy. RED must defend but on this stage BLU will have an advantage on purpose.

2nd stage: The gates of troy! The horse would have to be pushed right up to the gates and stay there, if no-one pushes it it will go backwards! But as long as the horse is pushed up against the gate the gate will open slowly.

Final stage: Through the city, this part is most treacherous as there is alot of hiding places for a RED ambush to ruin BLU's offense, and some houses can be entered and used by huntsman snipers to shoot down on enemies! The end of this stage is at the palace of the king of Troy (can't remember the name) and once reached by the horse will win the round for BLU.

It will be complex, but hopefully possible. What does y'all think? Do you have any ideas?

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
You will need a team of modelers/mappers/etc, but sounds great! Just played Medieval and was unhappy there's only one map.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
And a question: what will you replace cart way with? Maybe path or something?
Edit: The main minus of medieval is that snipers, demos and medics a bit are the only useful classes in it. Would you make sense for picking Soldier or Engie?

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
latest

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I had the idea long ago for a similar concept that was two parts. First being push a Trojan horse to the gates, second would use that Trojan horse as a forward spawn and then push a regular bomb the rest of the way through the castle.

Unh3lpful

L2: Junior Member
May 6, 2015
Now I'm imagining a medieval capture point map wherein Blue spawn is inside the wooden horse.

I started something like that with a siege tower before realising that BLU spawning INSIDE their objective is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
I'll say it again because nobody seems to have seen my edit, medieval mode has a huge minus: the only useful classes are Sniper and Demoman (and Medic a bit if you have the crusager). And I don't see how mappers can fix it, only if Valve added some more medieval things for every class... But we all know it's hard to create an interesting AND balanced thing.
Also medieval is unfriendly to very new players that don't have bows and Demoknight equip.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
My favourite class - Soldier is completely useless without his launcher. No jumps, no rocket kills, only your banner and shovel...
Pyro can make enemies burn only with Sharpened Volcano Piece (if not mistaken, I'm using steam in Russian) and can't extinguish noone.
Engineer can be removed from class pick menu in this mode, he is THAT useless here.
Scout will die by first Demoknight he met.
Medic's Crusager Crossbow can be used for healing, but not when it's the only way to do it!

SharkmanBriton

L1: Registered
Dec 29, 2015
My favourite class - Soldier is completely useless without his launcher. No jumps, no rocket kills, only your banner and shovel...
Pyro can make enemies burn only with Sharpened Volcano Piece (if not mistaken, I'm using steam in Russian) and can't extinguish noone.
Engineer can be removed from class pick menu in this mode, he is THAT useless here.
Scout will die by first Demoknight he met.
Medic's Crusager Crossbow can be used for healing, but not when it's the only way to do it!
I was playing soldier in medieval yesterday and you are completely wrong. The Soldier with a Zatoichi is a helluva tank, after a bit of playing I was dominating most of the enemy team. Soldier in Medieval is like a Heavy is in normal TF2. As for Medic, it's a very good ranged class and the crossbow isn't the only thing to use for healing your team...
Scenario: You're playing RED, and BLU is pushing at Point B, it's a pretty big fight... Stand behind your team, pull the Amputator out and taunt, healing your comrades by a considerable amount and winning your team the battle.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Anyway, Medieval is changing every class' role too much, I'd like if Valve added some things that are only accessible in medieval (not to break normal TF2). Seems like it's a very perspective mode that's not developed enough.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Just drop the idea of medeival mode and pretend it's some reenactment or something. The game has since long lost all pretense of making sense.

Cartfridge

L2: Junior Member
Jul 29, 2015
I thought the point of a trojan horse was to make it infiltrate an enemy base without hindrance, either way, it sounds like an interesting idea to me.
Maybe have a little pathway going through the trojan horse acting as a sort of bridge while it passes through certain areas of the map.
I do question how hard it would be to stop the horse if it's medieval mode, since most players would have to get close the the horse to kill the attackers.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
What if it'll be a medieval map, but without medieval mode? Maybe it'll be a bit more humorous and funny, we can even do some scenario like a real bomb in horse and a real RED base it the town. At least it will be way easier to balance.
A minus of this approach is that idea becomes just a map, just with a little more funny scenario.