1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

A TF2Maps VMPI network?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Altaco, May 27, 2009.

1. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    For those who don't know what VMPI is:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Vmpi

Basically, it allows for networked compiles. Valve has it installed on every computer in their office and so what normally takes half an hour to compile can be done in a matter of minutes.

Unfortunately, if you read that article, it states that VRAD over VMPI is totally broken. I was thinking, if they end up fixing this (read: if we annoy them enough about it) we're all friends here who want to help people get their maps running. So why not start up a network so people can compile faster using other peoples' idle cpus?

There's a nice tool for setting it up here: http://exp-softworks.com/2008/12/07/senc-source-extended-net-compiler/

What do you guys think?

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  2. Fireman

Fireman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd definitely be willing to donate whatever free processing I have towards getting more maps out and running. I really like the sound of this.

3. Mar

Mar Banned

Positive Ratings:
    This is why I love America.

4. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, yeah, we must have this. Sounds awesome.

5. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    The guys at playportal.net *Colt* were working on such a project a few months ago.

6. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Back in the days of GoldSrc mapping, there was a website that offered a remote compile service. You basically uploaded your VMF (or RMF back then, heh) and waited in line to get it compiled (it usually took 1-2 days). It'd probably be useless today since maps took way longer to compile back then (no func_detail and processors were so much slower), but a cloud compile network would be awesome :)

7. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    If they fixed it up, I might assist. MY comp is on about 12 hrs a day when I am not doing anything processor-extensive.

8. Zeewier

Zeewier L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like a good idea :)

(500th post)

9. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
  10. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    Dito, would be great

I downloaded the client you posted, but i can´t find any place where to put extra compile-commands, like textureshadows etc. :(

On that note, i somewhat ago posted about the VBCT (Valve Batch Compile Tool)
    it also has the VMPI Options, though i don´t know if the varying IPs of all of us wouldn´t be a problem..

but to get a stable network, we could use Hamachi, a neat freeware virtual local network client

Just my thoughts on that topic, would definately be a blast to be able to compile in less time and being able to passively help out :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  11. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Yes yes yes yes. Yes.

I'm in.

12. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    If we could set up the network, yes I would love to do it! This would speed up compile times so much!

I was wondering if something like this existed. Thanks!

13. An Icy Mouse

aa An Icy Mouse

Positive Ratings:
    Compiles don't take that long anyway I've never seen anything over an hour so far.

14. Jimbomcb

Jimbomcb L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, it was just a tool that ran when someone needed a map compiled, they just uploaded the IP to the worklist and the client ran on the PCs would check every now and again, unfortunatly a few people have gone their seperate ways, never got to a fully working/release stage

15. Noggin

Noggin L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tried VMPI at home but get an error saying...

Initializing VMPI...
    Can't find i:\games\steam\steamapps\ACCOUNTNAME\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\dependency_info_vvis.txt.

The ends, anyone got a solution?

16. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have an old box that could be set up 24/7 (Already planning in doing that and running as a server), but my bandwidth may not be good enough for something like that.

17. Rootbeerz

Rootbeerz L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'd love to help, I hardly use 1 of the 4 cores on my processor.

18. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    From the overwhelming positive response, let's start spamming valve with emails.

19. Yourself

Yourself L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I have a total of 7 processors/cores in this room with one being on all the time, I'd be willing to contribute those when they're on (and the one that's always on since I'm almost never using it).

20. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    What are we waiting for? Lets get started!