A question on themes.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tyler, Oct 1, 2011.

?

What is the farm theme?

1. 2fort

9.3%
  2. Granary

4.7%
  3. Harvest

4.7%
  4. 2fort and Granary

20.9%
  5. 2fort and Harvest

27.9%
  6. Granary and Harvest

4.7%
  7. 2fort, Granary and Harvest

27.9%
  1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    We just decided this in chat -_-"

Granary = Granary
    2fort = first farm theme technically, though mostly in the skybox
    Harvest = First farm playable environment

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Yacan1

aa Yacan1 D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R

Positive Ratings:
    This is my fault, but what ever. Interesting poll none the less.

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Granary is a farm in the skybox too

5. AyesDyef

AyesDyef L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Granary may be granary, but it doesn't stop it being farm theme the same way 2fort is, mostly in the skybox.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  6. English Mobster

English Mobster L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Grain is grown on farms.
    Therefore, a Granary is on a farm.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Invalid logic. A granary can exist off a farm.

Harvest is the only true farm out of those, but since it is a custom theme with hideous trees and a lack of actual farmy stuff aside from pumpkins and the general architecture and the name, I invalidate it.

2fort and granary are not farm theme per se, but farm related while being semi-industrial. Overall I feel farm is ancillary to the theme of a map. It is not the primary theme in any existing map (that I am aware of) and it would be hard to actually make a well playing map out of a purely farm theme, as the necessity for visleaf division, cover, and general play area containment will usually result in a semi-industrial zone or so called factory farm.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  8. Doctor Paprika

Doctor Paprika L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    All farms in TF2 are fake farms built around spy bases. Therefore, there is no farm theme.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    If you want to correctly analyze the results, you should have just made three options (granary, harvest, and 2Fort) but allow for more than 1 to be selected.

The way you currently have it set up makes it harder to analyze the results.

10. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Popular opinion seems to be that all three maps are farm themed, anyways.

11. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    2fort and granary only have farms as part of detailing somewhere. they are as much farm themed maps as badlands is a spire themed map. that being said, they are perceived as "farm themed" maps too much to just vote for harvest

12. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I think Themes are really two things: buildings and nature. Gorge is concrete industrial and alpine, while lumberyard is wood and alpine. Same, but different. As such, i reckon 2fort is industrial-farm buildings and the nature theme is... best described as farm, yeah. Harvest is farm to its blood. Granary is industrial buildings and farm nature.

13. Moose

Positive Ratings:
    3D sky is probably more important in determining the theme than most of the playable area, since most maps are played around specific buildings rather than the environment that surrounds them. People don't say lumberyard is a lumberyard themed map, they say it's an alpine map. Egypt isn't ruins themed, it's Egypt themed.

So, if you could describe the area outside of whatever-the-fuck place you're fighting in as farmland, I would consider it a farm themed map. Really, this argument is silly. If you can't consider 2fort farm themed because it doesn't take place inside a barn, you might as well not consider sawmill alpine themed since it's a sawmill.

EDIT: pretty much ninja'd by swordfish. Good point about the buildings, though.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  14. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    2fort doesn't give me the farm feel as a map theme would, while sawmill have the "alpine map" feel. i wouldn't equate 3dsky with theme. disable 3dsky on 2fort - what farms lol. disable 3dsky on sawmill - still alpine. farm theme isnt really comparable to alpine theme imo as one is a certain building type and other is basically just green grass with gray rocks.

15. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    What about barnblitz? When i heard there was another farm themed map coming out i got really excited. Then it comes out covered in snow; and the buildings don't even look like barns.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. English Mobster

English Mobster L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I said that in the Steam Chat, but nobody listened.

17. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Now, see, LeSwordfish's Theory of Dual Themes covers that: Wood buildings (as opposed to farm) and snow nature. Compare to Coldfront- Industrial and Snow/Cave

18. Moose

Positive Ratings:
    2fort does still have farm-ish things even with the 3d sky disabled. Hay, silos, cow cutouts, the general architecture, etc. If you can come up with something to call 2fort's environment other than 'farm' or '2fort', I really have no idea what it is.

I'm not trying to say that the detailing in playable space has nothing to do with the theme, it's just that the 3d sky should be an indicator of what the theme actually is.

Finally, farm is probably a lot more than just building type. Flat/hilly area, sparse trees, yellow foliage, and general farm-prop usage all seem like parts of the theme to me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  19. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Not sure what you're getting at. wall textures don't imply anything about the maps theme unless it was a cop-out and went full-industrial with concrete everywhere.

If there are cows, tractors, farm gear (pitch forks, spades, etc), hay bales, wheat fields you can make an accurate guess the map is farm themed.

So what if a building is made from wood, brick, metal or concrete. These materials feature in all sorts of themed maps, alpine, desert, farm, industrial.

20. Yacan1

aa Yacan1 D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R

Positive Ratings:
    Horray! I sparked a debate!