A question about blocks

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Montezuma

L2: Junior Member
Oct 16, 2010
I would like to make a block that, while visible as part of the world, does not stop the players movement when they walk into it. The exact purpose is to fix the top frame of a window so that players can walk through the window without being stopped.

I thought I read at one time that this was possible and if it is I'd be eternally grateful to anyone who instructed me in how to do it. Thank you and merry christmas!

-Montezuma

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
f_illusionary is obsolete; use a nonsolid f_brush.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
But why would you use a f_illusionary when f_brush is so much more versatile? :|

zero_rogue

L1: Registered
Sep 15, 2009
Func_illusionary is a entity included in the source engine for Legacy support with the gold source engine. Beyond this is not as efficient or practical as a func_brush with collision off.

Harpo_53

Apr 24, 2010
But what he wants is exactly what f_illusionary does. I don't see how either is more practical when f_illusionary is the exact thing he needs.

Montezuma

Oct 16, 2010
ok. I think for the sake of going with crowd I'm going to use the func_brush, but I still need to know how to turn collision off (I was looking for this before-hand and couldn't find it). Thanks.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
When you select the brush to be a func_brush you will see option down below one of them is the following:

Solidity (a number here)

Put one of the following in to give it a solid effect or a non-solid effect
1: Never Solid
2: Always Solid

Montezuma

Oct 16, 2010
When you select the brush to be a func_brush you will see option down below one of them is the following:

Solidity (a number here)

Put one of the following in to give it a solid effect or a non-solid effect
1: Never Solid
2: Always Solid

you sir, deserve a cookie or something other pleasing item. Thank you much.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
func_brush maybe more versatile but that doesn't make it appropriate by default.

Also, for the sake of being pedantic, func_brush will cost more resources than func_illusionary because of the many more variables.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Also, for the sake of being pedantic, func_brush will cost more resources than func_illusionary because of the many more variables.

Why, and how do you know? I mean, the extra space used in the map is negligible per-entity, and it could very well be that func_illusionary (in the actual game code) is just a thin wrapper with fixed defaults around func_brush for backwards compatibility... in which case the runtime cost would in fact be virtually identical.