A power outage while I was saving erased my map.

Sonnyy

L1: Registered
Jul 27, 2021
hi,
I've been making a map for me and my friends to play on for the past week.
Now, I save regularly - every 2 minutes or so - because hammer tends to crash and I hate redoing the same thing. But this one time, as soon as I hit ctrl + s, the room becomes dark and my computer turns off. Power outage.

When I boot it back up, the vmf file weighs way less than it's supposed to. Opening it displays nothing but an empty map.
I've read that there's a vmx file that is supposed to be a backup of the vmf? And yeah, the vmx seems to weigh as much as the map used to (like 11Mo or something).
Though switching the vmx to a vmf and opening it still doesn't resolve anything. I'm left with an empty map.

Also, I've turned autosaves off (because what's it useful for anyway, right?)

So... am I screwed?

Pdan4

Still trying to add
aa
Nov 25, 2013
Unfortunately, yes. But you can check your Hammer autosaves.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
If you have compiled your map at all since creating it, you could decompile the last compiled version of it, which will give you an editable VMF based on what the map looked like the last time you compiled it. Depending on how long ago that was, you may or may not have lost a lot of work, but it would still be better than starting from scratch.

https://github.com/ata4/bspsrc

Sonnyy

L1: Registered
Jul 27, 2021
Well, my last compile was 2 days ago. Which means I was able to recover like 60% of the map. I'm okay with that deal.
Thanks for the lightning quick laser accurate responses people!