A look back at an old map.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by JudgeJamesC, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JudgeJamesC

JudgeJamesC The Man of Many Updates

Positive Ratings:
    So before I ever joined TF2 Maps, I played around with the hammer editor and came up with detailed design ideas on graph paper. One of those designs was a stone bridge with wooden railings and a wooden roof. It looked pretty good. But when I tried to make a map around it. It didn't go so well.

These are screenshots of the last version of my very first map that I made in mid-2013. koth_riverbridge. Before you look at these, here are some things to know:
    1. I had no idea how to make displacements without crashing hammer at the time. So I just used carved brushes as scenery.
    2. I didn't know about func_detail. So every little wooden beam on the bridge is cutting visleaves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At least now I know how to make a playable map.

Why am I showing you guys a cringe-worthy map? Well, honestly the only thing I remotely liked about it was the bridge. I still like it and might add a much better version in a future map.

Does anyone else have an early map you've made that makes you cringe or physically ill when you look at it?

2. Startacker!

aa Startacker! I'm going to have an ulcer hsuiaoideuajdagagdjdtdl

Positive Ratings:
    I have some not so fond memories of making koth_yuckamuck_72, a 72 hour map that was incredibly small, over detailed, really flat, not properly mirrored, etc and etc. But I did learn a ton of good things though, as to how not to do that, so there's some good parts of it.

3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Oh I'ma show you some shit after a few hours guys be ready

4. JudgeJamesC

JudgeJamesC The Man of Many Updates

Positive Ratings:
    I'm looking forward to it.

5. n8five484

n8five484 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Before joining TF2Maps.net and before uploading Tripar to the Steam Workshop, somewhere between or during 2014-2015, I attempted to create maps using Hammer. Unfortunately some of the maps have vanished probably after I fixed my computer (though, some have survived). Luckily I have screenshots of those maps.

440_screenshots_2015-05-17_00008.jpg 440_screenshots_2015-05-17_00009.jpg
    These are bad isometric screenshots of my map koth_uaose_a1.

I have other screenshots of Uaose on my computer, but I'm typing this on my phone at midnight. I'll show them later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Another old map of mine called pl_voifawo_a1. I don't think I ever setup the lighting. Along with Uaose, it's lost.

• Like Like x 1
  6. n8five484

n8five484 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Reviving this.

Here are my other images of pl_voifawo_a1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the Uaose pics.

koth_uaose_a10006.jpg
    koth_uaose_a10005.jpg
    koth_uaose_a10004.jpg koth_uaose_a10003.jpg
    koth_uaose_a10002.jpg koth_uaose_a10001.jpg koth_uaose_a10000.jpg
    Oh boy, look at those images from long ago.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016