A look back at an old map.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by JudgeJamesC, Dec 8, 2016.

1. JudgeJamesC

JudgeJamesC The Man of Many Updates

Positive Ratings:
    So before I ever joined TF2 Maps, I played around with the hammer editor and came up with detailed design ideas on graph paper. One of those designs was a stone bridge with wooden railings and a wooden roof. It looked pretty good. But when I tried to make a map around it. It didn't go so well.

These are screenshots of the last version of my very first map that I made in mid-2013. koth_riverbridge. Before you look at these, here are some things to know:
    1. I had no idea how to make displacements without crashing hammer at the time. So I just used carved brushes as scenery.
    2. I didn't know about func_detail. So every little wooden beam on the bridge is cutting visleaves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At least now I know how to make a playable map.

Why am I showing you guys a cringe-worthy map? Well, honestly the only thing I remotely liked about it was the bridge. I still like it and might add a much better version in a future map.

Does anyone else have an early map you've made that makes you cringe or physically ill when you look at it?

2. Startacker!

Server Staff Startacker! L�: Void Walker

Positive Ratings:
    I have some not so fond memories of making koth_yuckamuck_72, a 72 hour map that was incredibly small, over detailed, really flat, not properly mirrored, etc and etc. But I did learn a ton of good things though, as to how not to do that, so there's some good parts of it.

3. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Oh I'ma show you some shit after a few hours guys be ready

4. JudgeJamesC

JudgeJamesC The Man of Many Updates

Positive Ratings:
    I'm looking forward to it.

5. n8five484

n8five484 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Before joining TF2Maps.net and before uploading Tripar to the Steam Workshop, somewhere between or during 2014-2015, I attempted to create maps using Hammer. Unfortunately some of the maps have vanished probably after I fixed my computer (though, some have survived). Luckily I have screenshots of those maps.

440_screenshots_2015-05-17_00008.jpg 440_screenshots_2015-05-17_00009.jpg
    These are bad isometric screenshots of my map koth_uaose_a1.

I have other screenshots of Uaose on my computer, but I'm typing this on my phone at midnight. I'll show them later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Another old map of mine called pl_voifawo_a1. I don't think I ever setup the lighting. Along with Uaose, it's lost.

• Like Like x 1
  6. n8five484

n8five484 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Reviving this.

Here are my other images of pl_voifawo_a1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the Uaose pics.

koth_uaose_a10006.jpg
    koth_uaose_a10005.jpg
    koth_uaose_a10004.jpg koth_uaose_a10003.jpg
    koth_uaose_a10002.jpg koth_uaose_a10001.jpg koth_uaose_a10000.jpg
    Oh boy, look at those images from long ago.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016