PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
August 19'th = Heavy Day! (Possibly.)

http://steamgames.com/tf2/heavy/

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=1738

Incoming Heavy!
August 11, 2008 - Robin Walker

We've been a little quiet for the last week as we've put the finishing touches on the Heavy update. We thought the Pyro pack was the biggest we'd be doing for a while, due to the large changes to the Pyro, but the Heavy update has turned out to be even bigger. In addition to the three unlockable weapons and thirty-five achievements for the Heavy, we've got a new game mode with five new maps for it, a new Payload map focusing on more open spaces than Goldrush, and another popular community-made map. Throughout the rest of the week we'll be giving you the details on all this, and if all goes well, you'll have your hands on it shortly afterwards.

The community-made map included in the Heavy update is cp_steel, by Jamie 'Fishbus' Manson. After the Pyro update we received a lot of email telling us how wrong we were in our choices, and cp_steel was an easy next choice due to the way it dominated the suggestions. If you're firing up your email right now to tell us that we never get anything right, please include suggestions of what map(s) we should be looking at next.

We'll be updating A Heavy Update site with more info daily. Stay tuned!

edit: First Unlockable weapon reaveled. The K.G.B

02_header.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
HOLY S***!

A new game mode. With five maps. Plus a new payload map. And Steel.

What? Huh? How the hell can they suddenly have made fricking SIX new maps? This absolutely blows away my expectations.

It's been a while since I've been this excited. Since the week before Gold Rush, to be exact.

...Just to be picky, they never said that it will be released on Aug 19th. They'll give us more throughout the week (until Tuesday I guess, which is the 19th), and after that they'll release it if all goes well. I'd say around 1st-10th September. :p

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Exciting! Please don't delay this one much, Valve... even though we expect delays now.

HolyCowSoManyNewMapsNewGameplayModeMeetTheSomebodyNewHeavyWeaponsAndAchievementsOMG!
Soon I can play may favorite class Pyro without feeling guilty.

NumbersAndNoise

L1: Registered
Jul 14, 2008
Gentlemen, start your speculation!

My guess? Then new game mode is something based on what we heard earlier, that their research showed that the people who liked tc_hydro were the ones that liked Sudden Death, and they were considering making a game mode based on it. So I'm guessing we'll get smaller maps for an "arena" gametype that implements that mechanic somehow.

Edit: Somebody found an "arena" gametype thing about the HUD (I don't remember what exactly) in the existing gamecode, and the phrasing "a new game mode with five new arenas for it" rather than "five new maps for it" seems to suggest that, though I may be making something out of nothing.

Jazz

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 9, 2008
Every thing looks great to me except for cp_steel. That map always confuses me when I play it.

joshman

L5: Dapper Member
May 7, 2008
this is wonderful!

I'm guessing for the maps:
Hunted, Another Custom map, A Payload map that incorporates a large platform, and some TFC ports.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
this is wonderful!

I'm guessing for the maps:
Hunted, Another Custom map, A Payload map that incorporates a large platform, and some TFC ports.

Something tells me you forgot to read it properly.

we've got a new game mode with five new arenas for it, a new Payload map focusing on more open spaces than Goldrush, and another popular community-made map.

So, that means no Hunted (it's not a new game mode) no "another custom map" (we've already got Steel, and they're saying it will be one), no Payload on a large platform and...probably not any TFC ports.

Last edited:

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
told you guys a new payload map and a new game mode were being worked on ;)

now I wonder if any of these maps will be in the "new environment"

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
With six new maps coming, I'm sure at least on of them will be in a new environment. Valve have made lots of variations on their mining/desert/industry themes, but I think even they have to run out of possibilities some time. :p

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Wow, Valve continues to amaze and adds value to an already awesome product!

Thanks Valve!