A Good Theme?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Moonrat, Sep 28, 2014.

?

What theme?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2014.
  1. Desert

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Grass

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Snow

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Space

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  5. Industrial

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  6. City

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Moonrat

aa Moonrat The end of an era

Positive Ratings:
    I've been working on a 3-CP A/D map, and I can't think of a theme to give it. I am using Dev Textures for the moment (Hope that makes you happy, HQDefault) and I want to know what would be a good theme, as the theme affects how the map looks in a lot of regards, and I need a name to give it before I can post the map to this forum. :confused:

2. Muddy

aa Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Early-alpha maps don't necessarily need a theme. If you can't decide now, you can put it aside and think about it later. Right now, your main focus should be on the layout of your map - and anyway, it's not like the entire community favours one theme over any other. All standard themes are welcome.

Basically, go for whatever theme you want. It's your map, not ours!

And as for the name, you can just use something temporary and get a forum mod to change your map's thread name later.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    I usually already know what theme I want while still thinking about the map in my head.
    But each person has it's own way of planning his map. You can always think of something later, if you don't already know what you want. In alpha, you shouldn't detail your map too much (nothing more than dev or basic textures, and a few important props, as you'll probably change most of it anyway).
    Also, if you want to make this a full poll, have all themes in it!
    Alpine, goldrush-desert, upward-desert, hydro-desert, egypt, swamp, construction, industrial (and spytech), city, chinatown, snow, space, farmland, japan, maritime, and probably a few I've forgotten.

4. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    pick something you like best

or pick something you'd make best

and you dont need a name to post it here, not a permanent one anyway

5. Moonrat

Positive Ratings:
  6. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is the lighting fucked up or is it the recording? You map might be compiling incorrectly.

7. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    So far it looks extremely small, not to mention flat, and flat maps usually aren't much fun to play on. Also, it looks like your resupply lockers don't open. Remember to make the locker prop_dynamic and give it a name, then tie the func_regenerate to the specific prop.

8. Moonrat

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't added all the lighting and such yet...

9. Moonrat

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I probably should make the map a bit bigger, as for height, I'll probably make B higher than A or C. And the Resupply cabinets, I haven't done those yet....