A few seemingly unrelated questions

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by HellJumper, Jul 16, 2009.

1. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    Hello,

I have a few questions that might seem unrelated, but it is for a secret surprise that I don't want to reveal yet (oooh).

First Question:
    Is it possible to have some sort of brush that would allow players to walk through, but not func_physboxes?

Second Question: Is it at all possible to allow zero friction between a player and a door? For example, I want a player to stand on a horizontally faced door (like a platform), but at random times, I want the platform to disappear (the door opens really fast). It does give the effect of a disappearing platform, but the only problem is that a player will travel extremely fast with the door until it hits a wall or something which makes the player fall. I do want the player to fall (the point of a disappearing platform), but I don't want the player to slide with it.

Third Question
    : with regards to func_movelinear, I was trying to use it properly, but I couldn't get it to work. I looked it up on the TF2 Wiki, and it said it had bugs with parenting it. So I removed the children it had, but I still couldn't get it to work. Could someone tell me where I could get a tutorial on func_movelinears?

That is all... for now,
    Frogger

EDIT: I found a good answer to number 3. Still need help with 1 and 2 though.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    1: I think you can make a func_brush non-solid. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    2: Hmmm, You could make the door open, and have some brush entity enable/disable after the door is open or closed. I'm not too sure though.

3. Geit

aa Geit 💜 I probably broke it 💜

Positive Ratings:
    Func_illusionary Does does this.

EDIT2:
    I'm not going to explain this in words, it'll just be easier if I show you, I've uploaded a test map here; http://dl.gamingmasters.co.uk/TFMAPS/pittest_tf.zip

Balloon Race has a number of func_movelinears, here's a screen shot of the entity set up, I don't know of any good tutorials, so this'll have to do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, every time the entity reaches the open it fires the close input on itself, and viceversa.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
  5. Geit

Positive Ratings:
    We are currently performing maintenance, the site will be back up within an hour of this post, sorry.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. HellJumper

aa HellJumper

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, I have two more questions now.

First Question: I have a point_template which I am using to spawn boulders. The only problem is I want the boulders either to be destroyed when they hit a certain trigger brush, or get teleported back to the top of the hill so they can be looped. Is there a way to set up a trigger_multiple so that I can do this?

Second question: When the boulder is rolling down the hill in game, it goes right through me without dealing any damage. How can I fix this?

Thanks.

7. Geit

Positive Ratings:
    Give the items your spawning a name and then make a trigger_teleport with a Name Filter that teleports back to the top of the hill.

Or, Give them a name, make a trigger_multiple and give it a Name Filter and set the trigger multiple to "Kill" "!activator"

(!activator a valid target name, you don't need to change it from !activator)

To solve the lack of damage, parent a trigger hurt to the boulder.