A few noobish to intermediate skybox questions

Mr Socks

L1: Registered
Mar 22, 2010
So I've been searching all over, but i haven't been able to find any sky-box tutorials that go past making a box that covers one's entire level and some basic scenery; so I have come here to request some guidance from mappers who are better than me :). (Which is probably everyone :p)

1. Should my sky-box extend down to the top of buildings and other areas which I don't want players to access?

2. Should the sky-box be used to create boundaries? Or should boundaries be created in the actual level and the sky-box placed beyond them? Or does it depend on the situation?

3. How far should (or would you suggest that) the sky-box extend above a playable area?

4. Should all of the sky-box sections be connected? or does it not matter as long as there are no leaks?

5. Should the scaled sky-box (the part that's 1/16th the size) mirror the other to-scale portion exactly or just be a rectangle?

Sorry about all the questions, and thanks a ton in advance to anyone willing to take the time to point me in the right direction :)

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon..

Nov 14, 2009
1. I am not sure what you are asking. If people ca't see the skybox, then it should not be placed. For example, Juction has no skybox at all.

2. Boundaries should be made in the actual level with items such as fences and playerclips. No one like invisible boundries.

3. As high as your tallest building, or as high as a demoman can jump with 2 stickies. Whichever is higher.

4. They dont need to be connected, atleast in my experience

5. You don't actually need the 1/16 skybox, so if all you are going to do is mirror stuff with it, dont have it. It is really used for rendering very large geometry and making it easy for peoples computers.

It should be a rectangle, if you are going to use it, however.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
This should answer a few of your questions concerning where to place the skybox, but usually I place my skyboxes about 256 units past the dividing fence so people are less likely to notice the slight lighting change between the 3dskybox and the normal ground.