Model A cube that uses lots of advanced texture features

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I'm working on some code that opens up model files and then uses the information inside to detect which materials which the model requires. As part of the development process, I have some automated tests where it re-opens a model and checks that it finds everything I expected it to find.

So I'm asking for a model that uses all sorts of fancy and obscure features that create dependencies on external information (like materials). However, it could just be shaped as a cube because I don't plan to use it in-game.

Now, I'm not a modeler, so I don't know the exact details, but basically selectable skins plus any weird or unusual features which have to do with involving new materials or other run-time dependencies.

I figure if I can ensure my code handles a horrifyingly over-textured freak or modeling nature, it can probably handle most of the other things that get thrown at it.

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
You'll have to be more specific as to what you're talking about.

I know for a fact that 1 model and 1 skin can have an unlimited # of shader and effect parameters as designated by a number of .vmts. Granted, not all shaders/effects can work together at the same time in the same material, but these can all exist on the same model.

For instance, a model can have specularity, self illumination, bump mapping, scrolling textures, phong, half lambert, etc...just as long as the 3D software making the .smd designates which material is which, and the .vmt takes care of the rest.

Now if you're talking skins, a model can have up to 12 different skins (I think that's the maximum that I found during experimentation).

So are you looking for a model with 1 skin, unlimited shader/effect parameters? Or a model with multiple skins?

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
All I want to test is that I can find the run-time dependencies for a model after it has been compiled. (Only one-hop, so that doesn't mean MDL->VMT->VTF, just MDL->VMT).

I just don't know enough about Source models to say exactly what these "dependencies" would be that may or may not exist beyond the basic skin names and search paths.

I mean, if you make a model with LOD levels, it puts all the different meshes into the same MDL, right? What about model which has a low-quality LOD that uses a different set of materials?

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
All I want to test is that I can find the run-time dependencies for a model after it has been compiled. (Only one-hop, so that doesn't mean MDL->VMT->VTF, just MDL->VMT).

I just don't know enough about Source models to say exactly what these "dependencies" would be that may or may not exist beyond the basic skin names and search paths.

I mean, if you make a model with LOD levels, it puts all the different meshes into the same MDL, right? What about model which has a low-quality LOD that uses a different set of materials?

Technically, a model that uses a low-quality lod I suppose could use a different set of materials, but I haven't tried it.