A better way to hallow out objects?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
Instead of using make hallow is there better way? Cause when you do hallow something, the brushes end up really funky and hard to work with.

Yeah that's it

Nov 28, 2017
Doing it manually with clipping or adding brushes to make a hollow cube is really the best way. Another thing worth noting is that the "Make Hollow" tool is susceptible to leaks in the future, so try refraining from using the tool unless for quick situations like making a quick hollow skybox to test the lighting.

ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

L3: Member
May 8, 2017
Doing it manually with clipping or adding brushes to make a hollow cube is really the best way. Another thing worth noting is that the "Make Hollow" tool is susceptible to leaks in the future, so try refraining from using the tool unless for quick situations like making a quick hollow skybox to test the lighting.
well I recommend using cordon for testing that out, just make sure your entities(like environment stuff as well spawn points) are within your cordon

[Rx.] Christian Troy

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 23, 2017
Doing it manually with clipping or adding brushes to make a hollow cube is really the best way.

Have to agree. My method is make the bottom with the thickness you want, add walls with the same thickness, and put a top on it with the same thickness. Years ago when I tried the "Make Hallow" option a few times it always made the box the most inefficient way possible.

Tango

Sauce Copter Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2017
And for non cubed objects? That was really what I wa going for. Thanks for the advice though.

Nov 28, 2017
And for non cubed objects? That was really what I wa going for. Thanks for the advice though.

Very hard but still doable. What I do personally is use thirdparty brush software like sledge where they have really good ways of making hollow spheres or even toruses

ficool2

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 28, 2017
Sledge (goldsrc alternative to Hammer) has a really good hollow tool.
Hammer should be able to open Goldsrc maps.